problem applying rear brakes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
when i apply the rear brake, the brake block that makes contact with the wheel first, pushes the wheel towards the other block. i can feel a tiny wobble as i do so - a bit unnerving. ok, so the blocks should contact the rim at the same time in theory.

i checked the wheel and it is seated correctly in the drop-outs, so that can't be it.

any ideas where to start with this one?

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
You need to adjust the balance screws. Sit behind the bike looking along the back wheel. Loosen both balance screws off and re-tighten them again gradually until the pads are the same distance from the rim on each side. Depending on your brakes one side might have to be done up quite a big tighter than the other.

Paul

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
thanks. my brakes are on a Specialized Allez. Not sure wht the proper name for this type of brakes is, but there is a single cable that goes to one side of the brakes.

i've never messed with the brakes before - i guess theres a bolt accessible from the rear of the fork to adjust the balance [centering] of the brakes.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi Maz. Sounds like you have a normal calliper brake ? If so first of check your wheel is seated in the drop outs correctly. If your brake caliper still needs calibrating you do this by moving it from either side using nothing more than your hands.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If dual pivot there is a screw located on the top of one of the arms to centre. TBH I find using a cone spanner, slotted down onto the central pivot that is attached to the frame, the best way to adjust. The pivot part where the brake is closest to the frame is usually serated or slotted - cone spanners fit nicely here.

As YahudaMoon, you can sometimes centre by holding both caliper arms and moving slightly - depends upon the calliper.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Once it is centred you also need to watch it in action to see if both sides are moving towards the rim at the same time.
If badly adjusted or stiff on the pivots one side might do all the moving regardless of where they sit.

Top Bottom