Problem fitting VDO cycle computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alexeix

Hi,

I own a VDO HC12.6 cycle computer and use it on my mountain bike.
As I've now purchased a road bike (Specialized Allez Elite), I bought an additional mounting kit for the computer.
However, when fitting the sensor on the front fork and the magnet on a spoke of the front wheel, it is not possible for the wheel to turn without the two striking each other.

There should be a gap of 1.5mm, but currently, no matter where I position the sensor and magnet, they will always hit each other.

Can anyone provide any advice about this?

Would it be sufficient to rotate the sensor on the fork, so that it will pass the magnet at an angle?
This is contrary to the instructions, but I can't see how else to fit it.

Thanks.

zacklaws

Guru
I use a VDO and on one of my bikes I have mounted the magnet on a spoke on the opposite side of the wheel to the side where the sensor is mounted which gave me the clearance.

>>>>>Would it be sufficient to rotate the sensor on the fork, so that it will pass the magnet at an angle?<<<<<

It should work. I am beginning to think, are you mounting the sensor on the inside of the fork? if so then there is nothing wrong with having the sensor on the leading or trailing edge of the fork which is the usual place that I mount the sensor on a road bike.

Just lightly fasten the sensor and spin the wheel untill you find a spot where it works and then secure it tight.

OP
OP
A

alexeix

zacklaws said:
It should work. I am beginning to think, are you mounting the sensor on the inside of the fork? if so then there is nothing wrong with having the sensor on the leading or trailing edge of the fork which is the usual place that I mount the sensor on a road bike.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting; the sensor on the inside of the fork.
Okay, so I'll try rotating it to the leading edge (better phrased than my description!).

Hopefully that will work.
Cheers.
:biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
zacklaws said:
I use a VDO and on one of my bikes I have mounted the magnet on a spoke on the opposite side of the wheel to the side where the sensor is mounted which gave me the clearance.

>>>>>Would it be sufficient to rotate the sensor on the fork, so that it will pass the magnet at an angle?<<<<<

Just lightly fasten the sensor and spin the wheel untill you find a spot where it works and then secure it tight.

+1

Thanks for hitting this snag before me alexeix, I was starting to think a new cycle computer was in the offing! I had mused that, since it's a Hall Effect pickup it shouldn't really matter whether the magnet's to the side or faceon, but it's nice to have it confirmed by someone else.
Browser is now relieved!

OP
OP
A

alexeix

Ah, well I have mixed feelings now!

My expensive VDO HC12.6 packed up a couple of weeks ago - at least it's stopped registering speed and distance...all settings are retained.

I've tested it on both my bikes (separate mounting kits and sensors), tried re-setting it, changed the battery and checked the contacts.

I no longer have the receipt, so I'm stuffed.

I only recently bought the additional mounting kit - waste of money. It hasn't even had that much use.

;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
alexeix said:
Ah, well I have mixed feelings now!

My expensive VDO HC12.6 packed up a couple of weeks ago - at least it's stopped registering speed and distance...all settings are retained.

I've tested it on both my bikes (separate mounting kits and sensors), tried re-setting it, changed the battery and checked the contacts.

I no longer have the receipt, so I'm stuffed.

I only recently bought the additional mounting kit - waste of money. It hasn't even had that much use.

:sad:

All VDO's come with a five year warranty, just contact VDO directly and they will sort it out for you. Scoosh had a problem with his VDO and they replaced it with a new one without a quibble.

Top Bottom