Problems on cycling. Please spare a minute to Help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Code:
Hi, I am a Design student from University of Salford. I am doing a project on how to improve daily cycle experience.

Please could you spare a minute to complete this survey, your opinions are very important for the project. Link as below

Survey Link

Thank you very much.

byegad

Legendary Member
The heading is incorrect. It should read 'Problems on cycling to work.' I'm retired and the survey is irrelevant to me.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
What is the major problem when cycling to work?
If someone doesn't answer weather, then they need a slap. That damn wind!

GrasB

Veteran
One thing I don't get with this survey is what 'Clothing' refers to. In what respect are you talking about clothing & is it the clothes used for work or commuting?
What is the major problem when cycling to work?
If someone doesn't answer weather, then they need a slap. That damn wind!
I wouldn't say weather is a major problem. -15C to +35C rain or shine can easily be dealt with given the correct clothing, hydration & effort level.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Done. Good luck with your project.

And yes, I put weather as my major problem... it can make the difference between a joyous morning and a miserable start to the day.

Midnight

Done.

I put 'Minor Problem' for Weather and Clothing - Weather does make a difference to the enjoyment factor, but for most of the year it doesn't stop me cycling. And yes, it's unfortunate that we have to wear clothing, but at this time of year it has it's benefits... :whistle:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I wouldn't say weather is a major problem. -15C to +35C rain or shine can easily be dealt with given the correct clothing, hydration & effort level.

But what about the WIND!!
We need a solution for making it less effort to cycle into it.

GrasB

Veteran
But what about the WIND!!
We need a solution for making it less effort to cycle into it.
This is where a power meter comes into its own... my garmin is set up thus -
Code:
Screen 1:
Ride time
Power
Heart rate |   Cadence
Distance  | Time of day

Screen 2:
Power
Heading  | Temperature 
Distance  |  Ride Time

Screen 3:
Heart Rate Graph
Power
Distance  |  Cadence
I'd love to have a power graph like the HR graph then the final screen would just be the Power Graph & HR Graph
Note the lack of speed on my screens! Once you adjust to cycling to a given power range rather than trying to maintain a particular speed suddenly headwinds & climbing becomes A LOT easier. At the end of the day 200w is 200w regardless of you going 5, 10 or 30mph ;)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
This survey seems to be commuting related, which is where my point comes into play, i want to go the same speed into the wind with no extra effort. What can we do?
whistling.gif

GrasB

Veteran
This survey seems to be commuting related, which is where my point comes into play, i want to go the same speed into the wind with no extra effort. What can we do?
whistling.gif
Join the clan of BentMikey?

In all honesty though, it's not a huge difference. +/-10 min or so difference on a 25mile ride for a 20mph wind (remembering that I rarely catch the full force of a the wind), I can also easily judge the speed difference by looking at a reliable weather station. Now compared to my wife's commute by car which is +/- 15 min over 10 miles on completely random basis (though there are certain conditions which are more likely to promote longer/shorter commute times.

Top Bottom