Problems with mars 4.0. Anyone else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got two Mars 4.0 rear lights purchased at the start of last winter. It certainly was a tough winter, however, I wouldn't have thought that should be a problem. However, both lights are now temperamental,, working sometimes and not working others. They both have a tendency to switch themselves off.

Bad batteries? I hear you say! No. I've checked them. Also the fact that they sometimes switch themselves on, tends to suggest that it is an issue with the lights themselves.

Has anyone else had similar issues with Mars 4.0 lights?

I've got two Mars 4.0 rear lights purchased at the start of last winter. It certainly was a tough winter, however, I wouldn't have thought that should be a problem. However, both lights are now temperamental,, working sometimes and not working others. They both have a tendency to switch themselves off.

Bad batteries? I hear you say! No. I've checked them. Also the fact that they sometimes switch themselves on, tends to suggest that it is an issue with the lights themselves.

Has anyone else had similar issues with Mars 4.0 lights?

I have two that eat batteries - even when off!

I place batteries in and leave, the left one is dead at the end of the week. CHange batteries areound and the same thing happens. No idea why!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I have two that eat batteries - even when off!

I place batteries in and leave, the left one is dead at the end of the week. CHange batteries areound and the same thing happens. No idea why!

They may well be switching themselves on when you aren't looking! I've popped into the garage and found them switched on, when I definitely haven't been using them.

I have a feeling it is water ingress. Shouldn't happen, really.:sad:

potsy

Rambler
They may well be switching themselves on when you aren't looking! I've popped into the garage and found them switched on, when I definitely haven't been using them.

I have a feeling it is water ingress. Shouldn't happen, really.:sad:

I would imagine that too,most lights seem to be rain repellant rather than water-proof,maybe give the working a good spray of WD40 and see how that goes.
Don't want unreliable rear lights now it's getting towards your 10 month winter in Scotland
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I would imagine that too,most lights seem to be rain repellant rather than water-proof,maybe give the working a good spray of WD40 and see how that goes.
Don't want unreliable rear lights now it's getting towards your 10 month winter in Scotland
thumbsup.png

Which is pretty poor given the general weather situation in the UK (and yes it is worse in Glasgow! :sad:)

I'm loathe to spray anything into them as I'm considering returning them. Surely it is reasonable to expect lights to survive more than a year?:huh:

potsy

Rambler
Which is pretty poor given the general weather situation in the UK (and yes it is worse in Glasgow! :sad:)

I'm loathe to spray anything into them as I'm considering returning them. Surely it is reasonable to expect lights to survive more than a year?:huh:

You're right Mags they should be lasting much more than 1 year,the most I have spent on a rear light was my new Topeak one which was £8.99,previously been using some £3 Smart ones and cheapies from Tesco's.both of which have been fine.
Might be worth an e-mail to the shop or the manufacturer and see what happens.

One of the teeth on the back of my Mars 4.0 I was going to email Blackburn about it (they've got a lifetime guarantee) but I forgot about it, doh. Went down Whitefield Road (I can usually hit around 30mph down there) and for once the lights at the bottom were green, que a fast sharp left turn and the light flying off the clip on my saddle bag. It'd been a good light so I went ahead and bought another, other than that I've had no problem.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No problems here with mine. Worth opening up and leaving on a radiator to ensure no water ingress.

Top Bottom