Product Design Student requires some help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianchi1

Guru
We already have recumbents, fairings for recumbents and fully faired recumbents.

I'm not sure what your design adds. If anything, it looks impractical. Have you actually spoken to any serious recumbent riders?

I guess this is why people don't bother to share results/designs. They just get dismissed by individuals who have only a rough idea of the students brief or aims.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You'd have thought so...

bianchi1

Guru
I'm not dismissing it. I'm pointing out that this is not a new design and one of the first things any designer does is scope out the existing provision.

He's not a designer, he's a design student..still learning.

I remember my first proper road bike back in the 80's (Raleigh Ritmo!). Basically the same as my present bike in terms of frame shape, gears, wheels etc, except that innovative ex design students have made improvements that have made that poor Ritmo look and feel its 30 years old. I am thankful that there are folk out there that who are willing to look at existing provision and not just shrug and say "that will do" but try something different.

bianchi1

Guru
And what he needs to learn to do is scope out what is already out there. Everything that he has suggested has been tried before and is already fairly refined.

Some of the stuff he suggests would benefit from further discussion with end users. Is an electrical assist really going to be worth the additional weight, particularly if this is combined with the fairing? Is the fairing going to be able to do what is suggested?

He's doing an independent study in his final year of university, as well as probably more modules with looming deadlines, and maybe perusing a hobby..and a full and lively social life (if you can't do it at uni, when can you?)...

My guess is that should he want to pursue the project after university and go into production, then the serious work begins. As a project a lot of the mark may lie in the process. And try to remember that the most important think here is the mark....not the bike/recumbent.

Shaun

Founder
I think the aim of the students is to show they can have an idea, research it, and produce a design brief - it would be very limiting if every student had to come up with a totally original idea that hadn't been seen or tried before!! ;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bottom line is - it's nice if the student's who tap into Cycle Chat's membership come back at a later date with their findings rather then posting a survey and never hearing from them again.
It's common courtesy.

OP
OP
C

Cledwyn

Regular
Here is my final design. It's not perfect but I only had a limited amount of time. I graduated with a 1st class honours BSc and was selected to exhibit at London's 'New Designers' show. It was met with a lot of interest and I have a job interview in London, in a few weeks. So I'm happy. Thanks

Attachments

• e-trike.jpg
    e-trike.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 81

Cheddar George

oober member
Here is my final design. It's not perfect but I only had a limited amount of time. I graduated with a 1st class honours BSc and was selected to exhibit at London's 'New Designers' show. It was met with a lot of interest and I have a job interview in London, in a few weeks. So I'm happy. Thanks

Congratulations !

Shaun

Founder

Congrats - looks cool - where can we buy it? :thumbsup:

Licramite

Über Member
I know its a bike , but because of your limited ability to indicate and thed vision problems you will need mirrors, and indicators on it. easily powered from a battery with an inbuilt dynamo.
Have you considered the wind resistance the sheild is going to create ?

OP
OP
C

Cledwyn

Regular
I know its a bike , but because of your limited ability to indicate and thed vision problems you will need mirrors, and indicators on it. easily powered from a battery with an inbuilt dynamo.
Have you considered the wind resistance the sheild is going to create ?

Just so you know... It does have mirrors with integrated indicators, although they may be a bit small. It also has indicators at the front and rear. The screen has been designed to be aerodynamic (tear drop) so It will have less wind resistance than an exposed frame and person.

Shaun

Founder
Just so you know... It does have mirrors with integrated indicators, although they may be a bit small. It also has indicators at the front and rear. The screen has been designed to be aerodynamic (tear drop) so It will have less wind resistance than an exposed frame and person.

How much? :biggrin:

Top Bottom