Progold Prolink Chain Lub - anybody used it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
Just came back from a riide alond a coastal path surrounded by sand dunes ... not a good move in a Force 7 wind . Which brings me to the state of my drivetrain - caked in fine sand aka grinding paste. Maybe I should stop being so mean and get some drylub rather than 3 in 1 - Hence this post. Progold seems pretty highly regarded in the States but is not sold by Wiggle or Chain Reactions Just wondered if there's anybody out there who has tried it? - theres a lot of dunes round here and it's the second most windy place in the UK ... not a good combination:smile:

stevenb

Not tried it myself...although Im sure my Dad uses a gold lube spray for his motorbike and I have pinched some in the past to use on my past bikes....to good effect too. Id wash your chain thoroughly first.....dry it, wipe it over with rag and brush and then re-grease. Gritty stuff is very fiddly to clean up....best of luck mate.

squeaker

Über Member
3 in 1 is 'not' a chain lubricant!

But ProLink is, and works well on a road bike (sometimes used on a sandy path). Not used on my MTB, so can't comment on muddy wet performance (use Finish Line Cross Country).
Give it a try - but do follow the instructions!

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']It's brilliant - the best fiver you'll ever spend on your bike. You can get it here:

Thanks very much chaps, I'm very grateful. Now ordered ! It seems very popular in the States but less so over here.

Dave5N

Über Member
3 in 1 is a very good chain lubricant. I have lost count of how many times I have posted this. The enemy is steel/steel wear. You need a lubricant to prevent this. Oil with lots of fatty acids to adsorp to the metal is the best lubricant.

Compared to steel/steel, steel/grit is much less likely to damage the steel surface as the grit is less hard.

Dave5N

Über Member
But yes, you still need to try and keep your drivetrain clean, at least on your best bike.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
I was going to come back on that post re 3in 1 as well. I've been using it for
about 40 years on all my bikes with no problem but I regularly (monthly) remove the chain, stick it in a bottle of white spririt, give it a shake for about a minute, same again with hot water and a dash of washing up liquid, same again with clean water then leave to dry then fit and 3 in I one it. Its only the combination of high winds and travelling past those damned sand dunes that's made me consider a dry lub. BTW - Pearces do that lube for £4.95 free postage - I really resent a couple of quid postage for a £4.00 item!!

Top Bottom