Pump recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mr SavageHoutkop & I both have Bromptons. The tyre pressure is ideally kept just under 100psi. While we can get that pressure easily with the track pump we have at home, I think it's impossible to get close with the little pumps that came with the bikes (and you can't tell, as they don't have a gauge built in).

Can anyone recommend a pump suitable for taking with you that can handle the pressure and (preferably) has a gauge so you can tell?

I'm not sure of the name of the valve concerned but it's not one of the 'fancy' ones, IIRC it's the same type as a car tyre's.

I did find one other thread where this question had been asked, the reply seemed to be get a track pump, failing that a Zefal - our Brompton pumps are already Zefal, so do I just pump as far as possible with those to make it possible to limp to a bike shop (or in case of utter desperation, the petrol station - yes, I have been warned not to use the pressurised air pumps but in an 'emergency'...)

My main reason for asking is we're aiming to go away with the bikes more often, and taking a track pump in the luggage is a bit problematic!

Thanks in advance...

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I have found Zefal as good as any frame fitting pumps.

kyuss

Veteran
I'd recommend a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive if you go down the mini track pump route. Unfortunately they are presta valve only so would need a change of tube. The Road Drive is also an awesome pump (I get 130psi out mine without too much trouble) and a bit more elegant than the floor drive, and although it's presta only you can get a replacement hose that's both presta and schraeder and has a built in guage.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The Road Morph G is very good, and has a gauge that will tell you if you've acheived the pressure you want.

However, for the price of one of those, and if you can manage with presta only, you can buy three Specialized Airtool Roads, which will easily do the pressure you want.

phil_hg_uk said:

PatrickPending said:
I'll second this recommendation!!
Although I haven't had cause to use mine yet <prays fervently to fairy> I would also recomend the above pump, so much so that I am thinking of getting another one to replace the mini-pump on my hybrid.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I had to use mine for real last week and, while it wasn't as easy as a full track pump, it easily managed 100psi without too many bad words from me :smile:

Recommended. :angry:

Top Bottom