punchbag training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
pie in the sky thinking, but along the lines of getting a punch bag for the winter nights something different to do one night a week cross training, over all fitness.

anyone here do it and what sort of session could i do, could i fnd one online, silly idea(im sure someone will think so and tell me so)?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Do you/have you boxed?

Work a bag by throwing combinations of punches at it, and rolling/slipping imaginary punches coming back - a bit like shadow boxing with resistance.

It's good practice to use bag mitts, or wrap your hands - can be surprising easy to injure the bones of the hand.

Incidentally, work in rounds, start with a minute, and work up to three.

I find wrapping some bandages around your wrists will keep 'your fist in line with your arm'! It's very easy to damage your wrists on a punch bag which doesn't make cycling very fun!!

Do the kicking as well as punching and go flat out for the final 10, 20 or 30 (if you're really fit) seconds of each 'round'.

Have fun... if you're not too busy suffering afterwards!

col

Legendary Member
008 has good advice there,its too easy to let your wrist bend on hitting the bag when you get tired,and you WILL get tired:biggrin:

stephec

Legendary Member
Join a Thai boxing class, it's great for fitness.

domtyler

Über Member
One of my work mates is a white collar boxer, goes almost every lunch time and comes back looking shattered with a bruised face and walking like an eighty year old man. Looks like great fun! :smile:

ChrisKH

Guru
domtyler said:
One of my work mates is a white collar boxer, goes almost every lunch time and comes back looking shattered with a bruised face and walking like an eighty year old man. Looks like great fun! :smile:

Used to do a Boxercise class run by an English schoolboys ABA champion. Really, really enjoyable. Last bit of the session he would hold the pads and the aim was to hit him on the head or body (not the pads) but he was allowed to return fire with the pads. Gets you knackered in about thirty seconds, but you have to keep your gloves up!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
ChrisKH said:
...but you have to keep your gloves up!
The thing that always used to get me was letting my gloves creep away from my face - getting hit on the glove, which then hits you in the face is quite embarrassing :smile:

dubman

Guru
I use heavy bag once maybe twice a week , tis a great workout , i would suggest you get a fairly heavy bag it will be hard at first but you will soon get used to it.

Top Bottom