Puncture Proof Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
No tyre is puncture proof as every tyre is penetratable.

But, the Schwalbe Marathon Plus is as good as it gets.

Folks will tell you that it's heavy and not fast to ride on. This is true if you're used to skinny road bike tyres, but if you're moving from knobblies to M+, then you'll feel like you're flying.

And yes, they are worth it, despite being over £20 each. They're durable and keep sharp objects out - you don't want to be replacing a tube by the roadside in the current sub-zero temperatures.

Mike!

Guru
I put some Schwalbe City Jets on my MTB when i slicked it up. Not as 'puncture proof' as the marathon plus's but lighter and cheaper.

No problems as yet

albal

Guru
I put some Schwalbe City Jets on my MTB when i slicked it up. Not as 'puncture proof' as the marathon plus's but lighter and cheaper.

No problems as yet

I have these on my bike & since commuting to a 'new' job since mid Nov have had at least a dozen ??!!!! run on path 1st , then decided road was better & it is.....just . Ran at 6 Bar. They are cut to f£$k. Will be purchasing Marathons soon.

chigman

Hi

I have been running These for 1800 miles now with not a single puncture so far. (Touches big thick piece of wood). I mainly ride narrow country lanes where there are lots of hawthorn cuttings and general rubbish/debris laying around and these tyres have stood up to the lot. I am well impressed with them and will deffo buy more when these wear out. Recommended.

Steve

OP
OP
D

DuncanBeaumont

Thanks for all the responses. I decided to take the advice and bought these:-
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-kevlar-mtb-tyre/

(Is that how you do a link? How do you make it short?)

Just in case the link doesn't work, they are Schwalbe Marathon Kevlar MTB Tyre @ £17.59 each. Very efficient service from Wiggle, ordered on Saturday, arrived on Tuesday post free.

I fitted them yesterday and they seem to be fine. They do look very skinny alongside the old knobbly tyres.

Now.

This is where it gets very interesting. The purpose of fitting slick tyres is to reduce rolling resistance - correct?

I rode my bike on the old tyres to the top of a small hill near where I live and freewheeled down. I had previously zeroed my computer. The maximum speed I reached was 20.2 mph and I made a note of how far I got before I came to a standstill.

I then fitted the new tyres and did the same thing again. The maximum speed I reached was 21.8 mph and I got about 200yards or so further. I can measure the distance and/or tell you where the test took place, if anyone is interested, or wants to emulate it.

I accept that this isn't terribly scientific, but it is quite a good indicator of how the rolling resistance has been reduced.

One other thing. The tyre pressures marked on the new tyres is 45 to 100 psi. I inflated them to 80 psi. Is that too hard or too soft. What do you think?

Hi Duncan, good luck with your tyres.
To add a link into a passage of text, copy the link address from, say, the URL address bar (highlight then Ctrl C etc) Choose which words or whatever you wish to make relevant to the link and highlight them. Then click on the little chain icon - above THIS text composition box, to the right of the sunny smile - and then Ctrl V, or paste the previously copied link into the drop-down text box. Click 'Insert Link' and...voila!

(Is that how you do a link? How do you make it short?)

Top Bottom