Puncture, Puncture, Puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poggs

I've had really bad luck with punctures in the couple of months since I've had a bike. Strangely, nothing until the day I dropped my bike off for its six week service - I came home after cycle training, popped the bike in the hallway and came back three hours later to the back tyre flat.

CycleSurgery changed the inner tube for me - props to them - and then I had two other instances of punctures on the rear tyre, and two or three on the front. The best bit was getting to work and finding punctures on both wheels. That's just really bad luck.

Several people recommended Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres - so I bought a pair and they arrived at work today. I had to get our receptionist to tape them to my rucksack so I could ride home.

Half way up Hornsey Road, five minutes from home, I started to really feel the road. I looked down, and my back tyre's entirely flat. When I say entirely, I mean absolutely. I dug out a hefty shard of glass from the tyre and wheeled it home in a sorry state.

It gets better.

Upon arriving home, I took the tyres off, fixed the puncture, took the weak-as-toilet-paper tyres off, levered the Marathon Plus on, put the wheels back and started pumping. Got the rear wheel up to ~95psi, and the front one to ~80psi, and then heard a strange hissing sound. I'd not only broken the track pump, but as I found out later, half-sheared the Presta valve away from the inner tube.

FAIL.

I hope this is the last of the string of bad luck.

Peter10

Awful luck. I've been commuting by bike 3 times a week for almost 3 months and so far, I've been very lucky!

Keith Oates

Janner
There is nothing more frustrating than getting a series of flats in quick succession. I had a similar experience not so long ago and the LBS pointed my to the Zefal 'Puncture resistant tyre liner'. They are strips of material that you put inside the tyre before fitting the tube and are supposed to reduce the chances of sharp objects putting a hole into the tube.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use that kind of thing on the MTB, but wouldn't bother on the road, too fiddly.

I assume each time you found the cause of the puncture - pressumably a thorn or such? Otherwise I'd be inclined to look at the rim tape etc to make sure its not been pulled about when in for its service (why they'd touch this I wouldn't know...)

Because you tried to pump your front up - were you planning to leave your rear tyre at 95? Get some more air in there...

OP
OP
P

Poggs

I assume each time you found the cause of the puncture - pressumably a thorn or such? Otherwise I'd be inclined to look at the rim tape etc to make sure its not been pulled about when in for its service (why they'd touch this I wouldn't know...)

Yup, found the cause of the puncture in nearly all the cases. The 'double puncture' was the exception, I checked the insides of both tyres after taking them off and couldn't find anything.

The rim tape's intact and secure, and none of the punctures are on the inside of the inner tube.

Because you tried to pump your front up - were you planning to leave your rear tyre at 95? Get some more air in there...

95psi is the maximum as written on the tyre, and I'm not a confident enough rider yet to pump them up further.

Maz

Guru
Got a puncture today for the first time in ages!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was on the front tyre, too, which is even rarer.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
After a puncture free spell from about Easter I've picked up two punctures and a leaky valve this week.
angry.gif

Marathons can handle just about anything, but it's hedge cutting season here and the hawthorns are just a step to far.

longers

Legendary Member
I saw someone on the way home tonight with front and rear punctures. He hadn't any repair kit but declined any help as he was fairly close to home. I don't think I've ever had both go down at the same time.

decca234uk

It's curious that flats seem to come in threes. I had a spate earlier in the year, I invested in some good tyers, kevlar coated and thought I was immune from punctures until I went down a pot hole while being diverted by a driver who was trying to get into my back pack. I got the clasic snake bite puncture. Been ok for three months now, but I'm not bragging. Don't want to tempt the Gods. I've been cycling for thirty years now but I can never get over the disappointment you feel when your tyre suddenly deflates.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've had six in the last two months. I went and bought two brand new tubes three weeks ago. The first exploded at 60 psi when it was put in for the first time. Completely split an inch from the valve. The replacement, brand new, leaked from the end of the presta valve, and was flat the next day.

The front wheel was flat again tonight after a slow flat.

I guess that the Fairy likes my company. It is not mutual. Find another friend, little one.

Top Bottom