Puncture resistant tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bond

I'm fed up now of constant punctures and was wondering if anyone has any experiance with punture resistant tyres? any recommendations?

beancounter

Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

Heavy, sluggish ride, bu66er to get on and off - but you won't puncture.

bc

PK99

Legendary Member
beancounter said:
Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

Heavy, sluggish ride, bu66er to get on and off - but you won't puncture.

bc

+1 on the bugger to get on and off!

put some on my daughters bike for uni, it took two of us an hour!

iendicott

Another +1 for Schwalbe Marathon Plus, as mentioned heavy, hard to get on / off and a very high rolling resistance but I have not had a puncher in over 2200 miles and they look like new.

OP
OP
B

Bond

HJ said:
I have done nearly 2000 miles on Conti Gatorskins with out anything penetrating through the tyre...

I'm not sure if they are the same I was looking at. Are they heavy?

Wobblers

Euthermic
As others have said, the Marathon Plus is pretty bomb proof. I don't find that they have a high rolling resistance - my Galaxy with Marathon plusses is almost as fast as my Van Nicholas with Michelin Krylion Carbons (another good punc**** resistant tyre). The Schwalbe Marathon is a lighter version of the M+: it's also quite good - I've had no problems with the ordinary marathons on my mtb hack bike.

GrasB

Veteran
If you're looking for proper road tyres consider Durano Plus not the lightest tyres in the world but certainly aren't as heavy as M+.

Personally I've not found M+ to be that heavy in 700x28c guise or hard to get on (though I am using 26er rims not road/touring so they have more dish in the rim).

colinr

I've Schwalbe Durano Plus - the slick equivalent of the Marathons. One puncture in the last year, one tyre wrecked by a massive glass slash right through the guard (didn't puncture though).

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Bond said:
I'm not sure if they are the same I was looking at. Are they heavy?

They are the same thing, they are between 250g and 320g depending on width, which is a lot lighter than Schwalbe Marathons, which are touring tyres, they weight between 590g and 740g. Conti Gatorskins are also the most popular training tyre in Europe...

potsy

Rambler
GrasB said:
If you're looking for proper road tyres consider Durano Plus not the lightest tyres in the world but certainly aren't as heavy as M+.

Personally I've not found M+ to be that heavy in 700x28c guise or hard to get on (though I am using 26er rims not road/touring so they have more dish in the rim).

colinr said:
I've Schwalbe Durano Plus - the slick equivalent of the Marathons. One puncture in the last year, one tyre wrecked by a massive glass slash right through the guard (didn't puncture though).
Just ordered 2 of these as I've had my 2nd flat in a week on my conti 4 seasons,1 of which has resulted in a large slit right across the tyre.
Had the ultra gators on my hybrid for a bit,but 2 punctures in 200 miles meant I put the M+ back on that and have never flatted on them after 2500+ miles.
Hoping for good things from the Durano+,not cheap but don't mind spending money on decent tyres if they do the job.
If these don't work then it's 25mm M+ on the road bike.

Top Bottom