Puncture Resistant Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ericck

Regular
Quite new to this site so this has maybe been asked before and also hope I'm posting in the correct section.

So I bought some Rayleigh/CST puncture resistant tyres (700x38C) and low and behold, first ride I get a puncture. When I see what has made the puncture (a small thorn that would have trouble puncturing my skin) I lose the plot and email the seller, threatening pestilence, plague etc. upon him. To be fair to him, he has offered to refund my payment and the postage to return the goods, so has only cost my time and the inconvenience.

The bike came with Kenda puncture resistant tyres and they were okay, I would dig bigger thorns out than those that punctured the CST ones, only had about half a dozen punctures in two years, mainly by glass and metal.

Now I realise that it is a trade off between puncture resistance and performance but can anyone recommend a tyre that does actually have some puncture resistance but still performs okay. Have seen the OE Kenda ones for about £25 a pair delivered but would pay a bit more for something better. I would welcome any opinions, tyres are mainly for road riding with the occassional gravel track but no off road.

Marathon Pluses and conti gatorskins have a good rep but check out their dimensions they may be too narrow for you rims.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Continental Contact or Schwalbe Marathon (ordinary) are both quite competent on road and gravel.

Herbie

Veteran
Quite new to this site so this has maybe been asked before and also hope I'm posting in the correct section.

So I bought some Rayleigh/CST puncture resistant tyres (700x38C) and low and behold, first ride I get a puncture. When I see what has made the puncture (a small thorn that would have trouble puncturing my skin) I lose the plot and email the seller, threatening pestilence, plague etc. upon him. To be fair to him, he has offered to refund my payment and the postage to return the goods, so has only cost my time and the inconvenience.

The bike came with Kenda puncture resistant tyres and they were okay, I would dig bigger thorns out than those that punctured the CST ones, only had about half a dozen punctures in two years, mainly by glass and metal.

Now I realise that it is a trade off between puncture resistance and performance but can anyone recommend a tyre that does actually have some puncture resistance but still performs okay. Have seen the OE Kenda ones for about £25 a pair delivered but would pay a bit more for something better. I would welcome any opinions, tyres are mainly for road riding with the occassional gravel track but no off road.

I have a lot of confidence in Marathon plus...never puncture in 5 years of using them..touchwood !

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I currently have standard Marathons on one bike and Conti TourRide on another. No punctures so far (touches wood :whistle:) and I'd be happy to to have either again but I reckon the Marathon gives the slightly better ride of the two.

wintonbina

Über Member
Conti gatorskins. I did over 2k on mine...no punctures & still some life in them!!!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
gatorskins for me too - or go one better and get the conti - gator hardshells.

Rahul Sapariya

Regular
I too would recomment marathon plus's. I wouldn't recommend ultremo dd if you have a fixed gear though. My friend had gatorskins and in the first week, he pulled out 2 bits of glass. Sure the tyre worked but you really want a tyre that prevents small bits of glass to even go into the tyre. Best tyres I've seen are marathon plus's and they are reasonably priced for what you get out of them.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Marathon plusses are pretty bomb proof. I've had good luck with ordinary marathons, too: they have the advantage of being much lighter than the M+. The Panaracer Passela TG is fairly puncture resistant, and a bit lighter still than the the ordinary marathon. The marathons seem more durable, though.

30yroldclunker

Über Member
Marathon plusses are pretty bomb proof. I've had good luck with ordinary marathons, too: they have the advantage of being much lighter than the M+. The Panaracer Passela TG is fairly puncture resistant, and a bit lighter still than the the ordinary marathon. The marathons seem more durable, though.

+1

I went from a pxxxxxxe a month to none in a year after going to Marathons. Wanted to get the M+s but couldn't get any here in Japan for some reason. Like the reflective stripe on the tyre wall too - good idea - if you keep your tyres clean!

OP
OP
E

Ericck

Regular
Thanks for all the replies.
The ebay guy was good as his word and has refunded me for the CST's.
So have gone with the concensus and bought some marathon plusses:smile:

Top Bottom