Puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmace

Hi guys, I'm about to attempt to repair a puncture (never done it before)
How long to these repairs last?
I cannot afford to get the bus to work and I don't have a day off or the money to get the inner tube replaced until a week on Thursday (11 days time) - I don't trust myself to replace it as I will probably mess up the gears or brakes

also, with a repair kit patch does the black side or the white side face the tyre?

I only have a "track pump" so can't carry it to work with me in case the tyre goes down
I cycle 4.5 miles each way (17 and 21 minutes) so it's not like I'm on it a lot

Its that long since I've repaired a p'ture on the road but iirc you only need to let the glue dry I dont think you have to wait long at all, 15 mins max. I usually fix a flat at home however and for peace of mind I usually patch it, then do something else (like make a cuppa) no specific time, come back pump up the tube and leave it for a while and if its still pumped up in the evening/ morning/ whenever I come back, the jobs a good one.

Edit: Kits vary but whichever side peels away from the foil back should be stuck down.

There's plenty of guides on the net

aberal

Guru
See here: How to fix a flat

Fixing a flat can take 5 minutes for those who know what they are doing. If you've never done it before it might take up to an hour, but it's an easy thing to do.

A patch goes on the inner tube, not the tyre. A track pump is ideal for home use, but you are generally better carrying a pump on the bike, even if it is to temporarily pump up a slow puncture.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Once you apply the patch - mine have then lasted until I replaced the tube over 12 months later.

Even I've managed to fix a puncture and I'm not the strongest/most technically minded person (though I still haven't done on on the road side yet). On my patches I have clear on one side and foil the other side (the packaging), and I remove the foil side and place that against the tyre.

The only thing you can do to mess up the brakes is on V-brakes - forget to disconnect whilst trying to remove the wheel (you soon notice), or reconnect them afterwards (that one you spot but you want to spot it before you need to use the brakes :biggrin: ). With Disk brakes you can accidently pull the lever whilst the wheel is out is bad - recommend don't do it - but you can with a lot of swearing (by my other half) return it back!

Gears you shouldn't be fiddling around with either.... the main thing to watch is that you put the wheel back in straight ... if its not the brakes will rub a bit ... but it just a case of jiggling the wheel round a bit and it sort of settles in the right place.

I'm a bit worried as I now seem to have listed loads of things that can go wrong ... but they didn't all go wrong on the same puncture repair (and I did say I'm not mechanically minded) ... if you are stuck during the process just post the problem on this thread and someone will have the right answer.

Here is a link to the Bike Tutor's version of fixing a puncture: http://bicycletutor.com/fix-flat-tire/

(Opps I took so long typing it other people have got there first suggesting the Bike Tutor!! :blush: )

rusky

CC Addict
The repair should last the life of the tube if done correctly.

Taking the wheel off won't mess the brakes or gears up as long as you get the wheel back in properly. Have a practice when you get some time in the evening etc.

As for the orientation of the patch, the backing paper should give you a clue.

I would get a spare tube or 2 & a small pump so you can replace the tube when out. If you're half way to work, a couple of miles is a long way to bush a bike!

Tynan

Veteran
the patch is stronger than the original tube, I've had tubes with 12 odd patches on, with patches over patches

it's really easy after the first one, use enough solvent to make a anarea bigger tan the patch, nice and smooth layer, let ig go off, it goes dull, press nice and firm and give a rub with the foil bit left over, reno patches are the best

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Done properly, patches are very reliable. I'm happy to put up to 6 or 7 on a tube before I consider replacing it. I usually only end up replacing a tube when eventually its valve fails or it splits down a seam.

I always carry 2 spare tubes with me on rides so I can swap a punctured tube out rather than messing about repairing at the roadside. It's not so bad doing roadside repairs in summer sunshine, but doing it in cold and wet conditions isn't pleasant. I have a spare for my spare and I have donated one to fellow riders before now (Calum - you still owe me a tube! ;)).

Worst case scenario on your commute, not carrying a pump, you could have 2.25 mile walk with your bike! You can get a mini-version of a track pump to carry with you e.g. the Topeak Mini Morph. You might get away with not carrying one at the moment, but if you start doing longer rides, you'd be daft not to take what you need out with you.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
CJ have you tried the slime patches?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
CJ have you tried the slime patches?
(Looks up Slime patches ...) Er, no, but funnily enough, I was having a clearout a couple of days ago and found a little pack of Park glueless patches which are similar.

A mate got on okay with them. I tried using one once when out on my MTB in heavy rain and the patch wouldn't stick to a wet tube. It rather put me off them. I might carry them anyway because the pack is so small that I won't notice them and I can always donate a patch to a needy cyclist rather than a tube! (If that doesn't stick, they can have a tube.)

Oh, and I should add that as well as the 2 spare tubes, I always carry a conventional puncture kit as well. I've had 3 punctures on a ride before now. It's rare, but when miles from home I don't want to take any chances.

OP
OP
M

mmace

cheers guys, great info & help as usual

do I let the glue/cement completely dry?
some sites so do other say it should be "tacky"
the reason I'm asking is that the patches aren't very sticky at all once the backing is removed

potsy

Rambler
cheers guys, great info & help as usual

do I let the glue/cement completely dry?
some sites so do other say it should be "tacky"
the reason I'm asking is that the patches aren't very sticky at all once the backing is removed

Tacky sounds about right to me, though the patch itself won't be sticky that's what the glues for.
You should try not to touch the side of the patch that is going onto the tube it should be as clean as possible.
I have a tube in my front tyre that has a Park Tool glueless patch on it, been good for 1000+ miles now,though I agree I wouldn't fancy my chances of repairing a tube with one in the wet.
Good luck.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
(Looks up Slime patches ...) Er, no, but funnily enough, I was having a clearout a couple of days ago and found a little pack of Park glueless patches which are similar.

A mate got on okay with them. I tried using one once when out on my MTB in heavy rain and the patch wouldn't stick to a wet tube. It rather put me off them. I might carry them anyway because the pack is so small that I won't notice them and I can always donate a patch to a needy cyclist rather than a tube! (If that doesn't stick, they can have a tube.)

Oh, and I should add that as well as the 2 spare tubes, I always carry a conventional puncture kit as well. I've had 3 punctures on a ride before now. It's rare, but when miles from home I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks CJ. I had planned to experiment with them but I think I'll stick to the slime tubes. 3 punctures so far on my rear wheel, remove the offending object and re-inflate. As good as new :smile:

Top Bottom