Punctures / Flat Tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Decani

Can anyone help please?

I am fairly new to cycling and I am having a problem with my front wheel.

Last Friday, I had both the chunky mountain bike tyres (and inner tubes) replaced with slicks for road use. The new tyres were changed by a LBS and they are Schwalbe Marathons.

Yesterday the front tyre punctured and I decided to replace the inner tube. I found a small piece of glass in the tyre, removed it and checked the tyre for other debris. I was unable to see or feel any other sharp objects protruding through the tyre, so I fitted the new inner tube inside the tyre. Five minutes later the new tube was flat. I re-inflated the tyre and it went down again. I am not sure what the problem is.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

:biggrin:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi

I would take it back to the LBS and ask why they replaced tyres and left glass inside the tyre...
Unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here, it seems they are at fault. If the glass got through from outside after they were fitted I would say that's very unlucky (as these tyres have a great Rep for not p*ncturing).

Cheers,
SD

Sittingduck said:
Hi

I would take it back to the LBS and ask why they replaced tyres and left glass inside the tyre...
Unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here, it seems they are at fault. If the glass got through from outside after they were fitted I would say that's very unlucky (as these tyres have a great Rep for not p*ncturing).

Cheers,
SD

I can't see the lbs being at fault if they changed both the tyres and tubes last friday and it punctured yesterday...

But if there is definitely no glass, check your rim tape. Also, are you running them at the correct pressure? The marathons can be pumped up a lot higher than most knobblies.

OP
OP
D

Decani

When the lbs replaced the tyres, they pumped them up to 50 PSI after replacing the inner tube, I did the same.

I will take the inner tube out of the wheel tonight and double check everything again.

Fingers crossed !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Take the tyre off.
Run your fingers around the inside of the tyre, very carefully so you don't cut yourself to see if there is any glass or other foreign object in there. Then check the rim tape on the wheel and check that no spokes are protruding. May be a good idea to remove the rim tape as crap can get get lodged underneath too. Also check that the rims are not damaged.

50psi seems low, you need to pump them up more then that. At that low pressure you may have pinched the tube.

OP
OP
D

Decani

Thanks for all the advice and help.

I bought a new inner tube and fitted it and everything seems okay now. I am beginning to wonder if I bought a defective inner tube. I have since repaired it and will keep it as a spare.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Marathons..orrible, heavy is not the word... but P proof - blooming good job as I believe they are a pig to get on/off............

High chance you've pinched the tube re-fitting..... I've done it on tight tyres, we all have.

Talc the tube to help fitting (bathroom stuff), and maybe use some washing up liquid on the tyre beads as you fit the tyre......

Top Bottom