Put your bloody lights on!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monsieur

Coming home from work tonight and passed 3 cyclists with just flashing rear lights.
A car is nearly on top of you before they realise you're there - I do feel strongly that just a flashing light does nothing for visibility.
These are country roads not an urban area but think about what rear lights you have as cars are easily blinded by oncoming car lights and a cyclist with poor rear lighting is not always clearly seen.

TVC

Hang on whilst I get the popcorn and pull up a chair, this could get good :whistle:

potsy

Rambler
I find the ones that are dim on flash will be just as dim on steady.
Anything like a 1/2 watt or better will be very noticeable on flash, unless you let the batteries get too drained obviously :rolleyes:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm not sure what goes through these peoples minds. I saw a couple of cyclists tonight with the dimmest of flashing lights. Do they honestly think, 'Oh, my lights are bright enough!'

Night Train

Maker of Things
I was following a cyclist last week. I thought he was another lightless ninja with a dirty rear reflector. It was only as I was right behind him that I realised that he was a ninja with a flashing red light that sucked photons in to charge the batteries (well that was the level of flashy effectiveness) and no reflector.

Mozzy

Two static, three flashing and a partridge in a pear tree:becool: Tis right though; better to be seen than squashed.

Paul_L

Über Member
don't think flashing lights themselves are a problem. I have 2 flashing lights on the back and with topped up batteries they're plenty bright enough.

There is a point of dim rear flashing lights, but i'm not sure there any worse than dim statics. Passed a couple of bso's tonight neither with any lights. Made a passing comment to one of them that by the time they would be seen it's too late and just got a mouthful for my bother.

Mozzy

I have a single flashing light on the front and 2 flashing rear lights.
Is that OK?
Maz; my perception is more is better, and you cannot have too many lights, sides which, I seem to be a lightaholic. I may be completely wrong, but if I was knocked off, I'd want to be certain I was as visible as possible when arguing whose fault it was.

Maz

Guru
I was asking because some bloke coming in the opposite direction (on a bike) was swearing at me for having the front light on flash mode.

I ignored him and left it flashing.

Top Bottom