Owning the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
The only time I have a go at drivers on the road is when they try and punish me just for being there, you know like when someone's on the horn because you're not in a cycle lane or because you're changing lanes to make a right turn? Usually I'll turn around and look at them in a slow and deliberate way and if chance permits say something short and simple in a matter of fact way.

'Your car's sheeeit,' is one of my favourites because you're giving them something to chew on. It's like if Donald Trump tweeted some made up stuff about you. You don't want to start refuting or explaining. You either say nothing or you tweet back:

635735560815320966-307755603_guinea.jpg

Whatever helps you pwn the road.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Or you could just ignore them and get on with your life?

Drago

Legendary Member
Not a good idea if they are of the opposite sex and you are a make wearing lycra.

Just pretend you're on a Pashley with two crossbars.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
I think what he means is don't be bullied, carry on with what you were doing anyway and ignore the tossers!
Yes, but let me finish the story.
<cough>
Tosser!
<cough>
Your bike's sheeit.

Look, there was an incident today and I've been reflecting on it. In all my posting history here i've rarely if ever posted about an incident before and this is because 999.99 cycling miles are lovely and only occasionally stuff happens. I'm an experienced and mellow cyclist.
However, since this afternoon I've been reflecting about owning the road and our duty to do so because I was spat at for being on the road.
Unless pressed i'm not going to bother going into the details and theories about why he might have done this other than to ask you to accept it was because I was there on a bike.
I stopped behind his car at the next lights and took a snap of his registration. He asked me what I was doing so I came round to his window and told him I was reporting him to the police. I saw there was a woman in the passenger seat.
I was preternaturally calm throughout. I said not only was his car shoot but he was a shoot driver. He started going on about cyclists.
I said it was a shame because not only was he a shot driver but as a posh boy trying to look hard in front of his girlfriend he only succeeded in looking like a dirty get.
I felt like I owned him and his disgusting behaviour.
I tried to take a pic of his face but he hid it.
IMAG1936.jpg

I feel like I stood up to this bully and I happy he's now worried about a call from the police.

I do have his registration so my only question now is whether to ring them.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have to say I took umbrage at the way some chap at the Tour de Yorkshire today drove directly at my wife and child, stopping inches away before motioning me to get out of the way so he could park. I hope our ensuing discussion was enough to cause him some embarrassment in front of his family although I'm never as eloquent in this situations as I would like. My wife just stood still in front of his car which probably was all that was really necessary.

Oh, and if it's anyone reading this, you're a farking dickhead. Don't use a car to try and bully a one year old.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I allways try to ignore abuse on the grounds that I don't know of any roadside argument that achieved anything good but if someone spat at me I am pretty sure the red mist would come down.

Definitely report him to police.

Top Bottom