Quando Hubs and my Dilemna

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have posted before WRONGLY that my wheels ran on deore hubs - but they dont, they run on quando hubs....

my dilemna is - do i change the wheels for the shimano r501 c30 clinchers for £100 at chain reaction cycles ( to me £50 is i have a money off code) or do i keep running them through the winter and risk the quando hubs collapsing as reported in other reviews on these hubs??

Please help ^_^

PpPete

Legendary Member
Jowwy
Edited post ... as my original response treated this as a new question when in fact it's already been discussed.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Not heard of Quando hubs "collapsing" - crappy bearings maybe, but you are not going to get amazing bearings on a £100 wheelset either.

If you thought the original hubs were Deore, they were presumably 135 mm OLN ? Those Shimano wheels will be 130mm OLN.

It would help to know what sort of bike you have ?
they are 130mm OLN

the reason i thought they were deores was cause i was talking of the wrong bike ( what a duphus)

but i am presuming the bearings in the shimano's are going to be of better quality than the quando's

the bike is a raliegh sprint 2011 model!

PpPete

Legendary Member
If the Quando bearings are running OK I'd not change them for the winter. The Shimano maybe slightly better quality .... but it's still a £100 wheelset so not that great and I can't imagine they'd have wonderful seals for winter riding either.
Oh yes and 20/24 spokes ? Triumph of fashion over function.

tyred

Legendary Member
Qunado hubs shouldn't collapse if the bearings are greased and adjusted properly (not a guarantee straight from the shop, they seem to come too tight and with too little grease). One of my Quando hubs is approaching 5,000 miles and still runs freely with no obvious signs of wear.

Top Bottom