Question about Ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danphoto

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it's something which hasn't arisen before in this household.

We are selling an item on Ebay which currently has one bidder at £25. He's just sent a message offering to buy it for £50 cash.

Am I correct in assuming that to proceed with that transaction would be Naughty in the sight of Ebay?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
You are indeed correct.

Adasta

Yes: if you had wanted to settle at a certain amount, you would've used the "Buy it Now" feature.

S/he's worried it might go for more than 50 and is trying to settle early. Tell him it's an auction and that he'll win the item if he has the highest bid by the end time. Sorted.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Yes, unless you have a "buy it now" price you should let the auction run for as long as you specified when you entered the item. If the bidder wants to buy your item for £50 now, she/he should still want it at the end of the auction, and if it goes higher than that all the beter for you. Remember that ebay auctions tend to attract bids at the last minute, similar to poker players bidding late instead of showing their intent. We all like a bargain afterall.

OP
OP
danphoto

danphoto

Cheers chaps. I wasn't minded to take his 50 quid anyhow. I just was just after confirmation of my suspicion that such dealing is Not On :becool:

If you are happy to have a quick sale of the item for £50 then you could add the buy it now feature, but it is highly possible that the item will go for more than that.

if you were to sell it now off e-bay you have no seller protection and open yourself up to claims that it wasn't sent / didn't arrive and all sorts of other claims

let the auction run its course.

Top Bottom