Quick question -quick answer please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I do very lightly. It helps to stop it seizing in place with salt spray etc.

dodgy

The cassette/spline interface isn't particularly known as a seize risk. Having said that, I routinely put copper grease between most metal interfaces on my bikes.

Dave.

dodgy

Jockey Wheels are very forgiving, I've never replaced one yet anyway. There should be some sideways float.

Dave.

bonj2

the jockey wheels' only job is to keep the chain aligned to the mech cage.
If they do that successfully and rotate freely then they don't need replacing. If they had no teeth left at all then it would still work, but the chain might touch the sides of the mech cage. As long as it doesn't then they're fine.

RedBike

Ignore Borj.

There should be some movement 'float' in the jockey wheels. Without it you'd find your gears are much harder to index.

When the jockey wheels are very worn you'll find your chain starts acting the fool and gets entangled in the rear mech. Although before this you'll probably notice your gears are slower changing.

When you look at a worn jockey wheel the teeth will look spikey (Not bald).

just found a good piccy
jocwheel.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Unless they look like the above and they cause no chain nastiness, then I'd not change them.

I also grease splines... there's little reason for doing it other than corrosion protection.

bonj2

as long as you haven't moved the front mech it should be fine. that's the only thing that's ever an arse to set up right.

bonj2

'ticking' ?:angry: what's causing that?
and how is the cable not going into it properly, is it because it's too stiff to shift up to a larger chainring? or is it just frayed?

bonj2

Well on my bike i've got a triple, and it's impossible not to have the chain hitting the mech at all in any gear, the compromise is to have it so that it only touches in one combination that is easily avoidable. For me it only touches when i'm on the biggest sprocket on the middle ring (i.e. 42x23) which is most avoidable as i just go on the granny ring and 4th and 3rd for spinning up a big hill (32x17,19).
It only touches it very lightly and still shifts well, so i just accept it.

Also when i was setting mine up a bloke on acf told me it should go inside the notch (i.e. nearer the pivot) rather than round the outside of the notch (further away from the pivot) but the front mech was really stiff with it like that, so i put it round the outside of the notch and it shifts like a dream, even from small to middle with the chain on the biggest sprocket, which it didn't do without 'help' after it had indexed with it like he said. You'd think with more mechanical advantage and less velocity ratio it wouldn't move the cage as far, but seemingly it moves it enough.
Also be aware that some shifters actually have FOUR index positions not 3, so you can trim. e.g. mine's got 1, 2, 3 and 4 - weirdly, you can go from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3, or 1 to 3, but 3 to 1 seems one motion - it won't go from 3 to 2. 3 to 4 and 4 to 3 is fine. also 1 to 2 isn't enough movement to actually change gear.
But I only use 1, 3 and 4, as they give the best positioning of the mech.

Mortiroloboy

RedBike said:
Ignore Borj.

There should be some movement 'float' in the jockey wheels. Without it you'd find your gears are much harder to index.

When the jockey wheels are very worn you'll find your chain starts acting the fool and gets entangled in the rear mech. Although before this you'll probably notice your gears are slower changing.

When you look at a worn jockey wheel the teeth will look spikey (Not bald).

just found a good piccy
jocwheel.jpg

Weird!

Top Bottom