Race Report - Lea Valley 11/5/08

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

It's been sometime since I posted a report so I thought I'd update you with whats been going on.

Yesterday I entered the Lea Valley Road Race, an 87mile race around Maldon in Essex, and this being my first race since promotion to Cat 3.
I arrived late, with just 10 minutes to get the bike out the car, sign on and get myself together, no room to warm up or anything. I get to the start line pass my spare bottle to my GF incase I need it so she can pass it to me when I go past her.
The route was a 12ish mile loop, which appeared to have plenty of decents till the finish line.
I start the race near the back, trying to sit on a wheel, seeing as I never warmed up I thought I'd break into it slowly and get the HR up gradually, I thought road races were a little more subdued that crits, what I have only ridden since I started racing, but I was wrong, I could of been right, but I was racing against Elite riders and pro's infact, as after the first decent I was on the front, and was leading out Rapha Condor and Pinnerello RT, to then switch round and I was following the wheel of rapha rider, Matt Seaton. The ride carries on for another 3 miles till we hit the first and only hill on the section

Keith Oates

Janner
Good to know you're back in the racing action again, Walker. However I think the report I've got was cut short, is there any chance of getting the full report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
walker

walker

It's been sometime since I posted a report so I thought I'd update you with whats been going on.

Yesterday I entered the Lea Valley Road Race, an 87mile race around Maldon in Essex, and this being my first race since promotion to Cat 3.
I arrived late, with just 10 minutes to get the bike out the car, sign on and get myself together, no room to warm up or anything. I get to the start line pass my spare bottle to my GF incase I need it so she can pass it to me when I go past her.
The route was a 12ish mile loop, which appeared to have plenty of decents till the finish line.
I start the race near the back, trying to sit on a wheel, seeing as I never warmed up I thought I'd break into it slowly and get the HR up gradually, I thought road races were a little more subdued that crits, what I have only ridden since I started racing, but I was wrong, I could of been right, but I was racing against Elite riders and pro's infact and the race had gone straight off to a 28mph ride, after the first decent I was on the front, and was leading out Rapha Condor and Pinnerello RT, to then switch round and I was following the wheel of rapha rider, Matt Seaton, who, incidently, wasn't riding a condor frame. The ride carries on for another 3 miles till we hit the first and only hill on the section, a kilo long 7-14-7% climb up to the finish line, I get dropped half way up and for the next 40 miles I am riding on my own, one other rider dropped with me but I dropped him within 3 miles, he was tired already as he was racing TT the day before against Dr Hutch.

40 miles goes by and the lead group finally catch me, I hang onto the back of them for a mile and a half, and watch them trying to outfox each other this early in the race, and I can say its more interesting and exciting than actually watching it from the front room.
I let the lead group go and was told by the race organiser to pull out, Which I'm happy to do as I could feel my energy levels slowly deminishing.

I decide to walk half way to the finish line up the hill, but with getting off the bike I think I trapped a tendon or something as walking was harder than the race itself.

a great day's racing by all that competed and myself included, I wasn't expecting anything from today as a result, and was only in it for the experience before this weekends race, which is only a cat 3/4 race and only over 50 miles, so should be easier on myself.

The organisers and the Marshalls did a superb job and all credit should go to those that gave up their sunbathing time to help out.

OP
OP
walker

walker

yenrod said:
Hate those kind of races from the gun..just interminadable esp. hilly ones !

I hate them too Yenners, I'm a sprinter, never a climber, I climb like a damp sack of potatoes, but I honestly had a real good time.

yenrod

Whats the use of a start of a race like so..

Like, if its a good distance WHY the big F1 like start...its rediculous !

Still, where's the inteligence in a bunch of testosteroned fuelled men ;)

;) :smile: :ohmy:

BTW - for any boring bastard: im a man so I CAN type that !!!!

OP
OP
walker

walker

ah, sorry, forgot to mention it was a rolling start

Top Bottom