1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race Report - Lea Valley 11/5/08

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by walker, 12 May 2008.

1. walker

walker New Member

It's been sometime since I posted a report so I thought I'd update you with whats been going on.

Yesterday I entered the Lea Valley Road Race, an 87mile race around Maldon in Essex, and this being my first race since promotion to Cat 3.
    I arrived late, with just 10 minutes to get the bike out the car, sign on and get myself together, no room to warm up or anything. I get to the start line pass my spare bottle to my GF incase I need it so she can pass it to me when I go past her.
    The route was a 12ish mile loop, which appeared to have plenty of decents till the finish line.
    I start the race near the back, trying to sit on a wheel, seeing as I never warmed up I thought I'd break into it slowly and get the HR up gradually, I thought road races were a little more subdued that crits, what I have only ridden since I started racing, but I was wrong, I could of been right, but I was racing against Elite riders and pro's infact, as after the first decent I was on the front, and was leading out Rapha Condor and Pinnerello RT, to then switch round and I was following the wheel of rapha rider, Matt Seaton. The ride carries on for another 3 miles till we hit the first and only hill on the section

2. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Good to know you're back in the racing action again, Walker. However I think the report I've got was cut short, is there any chance of getting the full report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. walker

walker New Member

I've tried to update this twice now and its not bloody saving ADMIN!!!!!

4. mondobongo

mondobongo Über Member

Thought it was short when it opened up, come on Walker how did you get on?

5. walker

walker New Member

It's been sometime since I posted a report so I thought I'd update you with whats been going on.

Yesterday I entered the Lea Valley Road Race, an 87mile race around Maldon in Essex, and this being my first race since promotion to Cat 3.
    I arrived late, with just 10 minutes to get the bike out the car, sign on and get myself together, no room to warm up or anything. I get to the start line pass my spare bottle to my GF incase I need it so she can pass it to me when I go past her.
    The route was a 12ish mile loop, which appeared to have plenty of decents till the finish line.
    I start the race near the back, trying to sit on a wheel, seeing as I never warmed up I thought I'd break into it slowly and get the HR up gradually, I thought road races were a little more subdued that crits, what I have only ridden since I started racing, but I was wrong, I could of been right, but I was racing against Elite riders and pro's infact and the race had gone straight off to a 28mph ride, after the first decent I was on the front, and was leading out Rapha Condor and Pinnerello RT, to then switch round and I was following the wheel of rapha rider, Matt Seaton, who, incidently, wasn't riding a condor frame. The ride carries on for another 3 miles till we hit the first and only hill on the section, a kilo long 7-14-7% climb up to the finish line, I get dropped half way up and for the next 40 miles I am riding on my own, one other rider dropped with me but I dropped him within 3 miles, he was tired already as he was racing TT the day before against Dr Hutch.

40 miles goes by and the lead group finally catch me, I hang onto the back of them for a mile and a half, and watch them trying to outfox each other this early in the race, and I can say its more interesting and exciting than actually watching it from the front room.
    I let the lead group go and was told by the race organiser to pull out, Which I'm happy to do as I could feel my energy levels slowly deminishing.

I decide to walk half way to the finish line up the hill, but with getting off the bike I think I trapped a tendon or something as walking was harder than the race itself.

a great day's racing by all that competed and myself included, I wasn't expecting anything from today as a result, and was only in it for the experience before this weekends race, which is only a cat 3/4 race and only over 50 miles, so should be easier on myself.

The organisers and the Marshalls did a superb job and all credit should go to those that gave up their sunbathing time to help out.

6. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Hate those kind of races from the gun..just interminadable esp. hilly ones !

7. walker

walker New Member

I hate them too Yenners, I'm a sprinter, never a climber, I climb like a damp sack of potatoes, but I honestly had a real good time.

8. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Whats the use of a start of a race like so..

Like, if its a good distance WHY the big F1 like start...its rediculous !

Still, where's the inteligence in a bunch of testosteroned fuelled men ;)

;) :smile: :ohmy:

BTW - for any boring bastard: im a man so I CAN type that !!!!

9. walker

walker New Member

ah, sorry, forgot to mention it was a rolling start

10. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Oh well horses for courses ;)