Rack/Panniers ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J4CKO

Birthday soon so justification for a cycling related purchase, I am sick of my heavy rucksack on my back so would like some panniers to drop the weight down low and avoid the sweaty back, I need to carry a days clothes, hefty lock, spares, tools, lunch and occasionally a laptop.

My bike is a Cannondale bad boy that has disks, i was thinking of some Altura Panniers and a Topeak Supertourist disk but will take suggestions without going much over £100.

Willow

I bought some simple DHB elsted ones from Wiggle and really like them, they come with waterproof cover though I haven't tried that yet. Generally I only use one which is enough space for clothes and papers/files on the odd day I use both. Loads of s pace between them.

Mr Creosote

I use the Topeak Supertourist with disc mount rack but would add a note of caution. After a few months daily use the 45mm M5 cap screws both sheared within a few minutes of each other at the face with the bike frame leaving 10mm of bolt stuck in the frame. Now it may be that I shouldn't have used threadlock on the bolt to stop it working loose or that the bolts were faulty. Nevertheless trying to remove the sheared part caused me to f*ck up my aluminium frame beyond repair.

Prehaps a little limited in terms of volume for your needs, but Topeak also do matching rack bags with fold out panniers. I use the MTX DXP bag. Prior to that I used the el cheapo M-Wave panniers. Oodles of space but the one I had had low quality and dodgy zips.

Hope this helps.

AyrshireBacon

I have a Giant Yukon which has a rear pannier fitted. To get a normal rack to fit I used special disc adapters made by Giant, bought from Winstanley Cycles for £4. These are brackets which stick out rearwards from the normal hub mounting points and let a rack fit without fouling the caliper. I bought small size to start, but have now bought large as these give better clearance.

Good luck :biggrin:

jollyrog

Winter is coming. Ortlieb never let the water in, unlike the cheaper brands. They also seem to last for ever. Excellent warranty service too, on the rare occasion that you may need to use it.

My racks are all Tubus. Indestructible but expensive.

Bodhbh

Guru
Re: the Ortlieb panniers. Perhaps it's well known trick for expedition cyclists, but some chap was telling me over the weeked they were so water proof he filled them with air and used them on tour to float his bike across flooded river crossings.

Bodhbh said:
Re: the Ortlieb panniers. Perhaps it's well known trick for expedition cyclists, but some chap was telling me over the weeked they were so water proof he filled them with air and used them on tour to float his bike across flooded river crossings.

Flotation bags. We used to do that with an army bergen and poncho.

Re: Laptop. Some people say that laptops can get knocked about more in panniers so you're better off carrying that on your back at least. I reckon it would be ok if you put it in a hard shell in the pannier.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Need a laptop like my MSI Wind (well Advent 4211, but it's the same thing). PrettyBoyTim also has one, they are great. Tiny, light, plenty powerful, and easy to schlep on a bike.

OP
OP
J

J4CKO

The Laptops are works, a small Dell I keep at home and a honking great 17 inch screen one, have never carried that on the bike, a low loader would be more appropriate.

I might get separation anxiety from my rucksack !

Domestique

Über Member
Bodhbh said:

If thats true thats the most amazing story about cycling I have heard in a long time. I am laughing as I type this, brilliant :biggrin:

Top Bottom