Rail Companies Excel

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by spen666, 14 Sep 2018.

1. spen666

spen666 Guru

2. Lonestar

Lonestar Veteran

Thought you would see that...I saw it after reading your other post from that toilet rag.

The Standard....The Commuters Newspaper.

Be a good idea to close all the lost property offices.I see all the junk they hoard down there...Seen loads of bikes and stuff.

Ha...when I saw Excel all I could think of was spreadsheet.lol.

I'd happily pay a tenner (Per item) if it means getting my keys/Phone back.I lost my keys a few years back and it cost me more than a tenner to replace.

I know stuff has to be handed in...I've handed enough stuff in over the years including the odd laptop/mobile phone.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2018
    AndyRM likes this.
  3. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Northern is Arriva.

Or verse vica

Soltydog likes this.
  4. Lonestar

Lonestar Veteran

That reminds me....Once I lost my wallet thing at Walthamstow Central of which some people found and phoned me up...So I met them and offered a reward but they declined.My passes were more important.

I had to go to the London Underground lost property lost wallet again....Not sure how it turned up there as I rarely use the tube....and had to pay a fee AFAIR....Did I moan or did I thank the bloke behind the counter? I think some of us can work that one out.

Wish those keys had turned up with that gold St Christopher that I lost.

https://tfl.gov.uk/help-and-contact/lost-property#on-this-page-3

We charge a fee to help cover the cost of collecting and storing your property and will require valid identification before we release goods for collection or delivery.

Read this Standard,mugs.

5. OP
    OP
    spen666

spen666 Guru

For those seeking to turn this into an attack on the Evening Standard, its also being reported by:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45519994

Interestingly, upon what legal basis are Arriva trains blackmailing customers?

The item does not belong to Arriva trains and they are effectively demanding money (with menaces) to give someone their own property.

What legal right do Arriva ( or any other company) have to refuse to return your own property to you?

6. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

I think you might be able to justify a handling charge depending on how big etc the lost item might be, but to filch a percentage of cash out of a wallet is pretty close to extortion.

7. OP
    OP
    spen666

spen666 Guru

Can you give a source for that?

I suspect you are right, but couldn't immediately think of legal right to demand a finders fee

8. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

Sorry, that wasn't supposed to be a legal opinion, just Gary Bloke giving his thoughts on the matter.

BTW, is Michael O'Leary working at Arriva these days?

9. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

No publicity is bad publicity.

10. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

Fee to have your item returned is fair enough. Taking money out a wallet isn't.

That wasn't too hard!

11. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

I think they are like most giant businesses these days - utterly disgusting.

slightly off topic but I will have a moan all the same, was on a delayed journey 8 weeks ago, thought I would claim the £7 they owe me. Probably spent nearly 2 hours on the phone being passed from company to company, numerous emails and forms filled in, and they still can't work out who I should be claiming from, Virgin Blame CrossCountry, Crosscountry poit me to LNER and LNER say its nowt to do with them - have now got Transport Focus involved but they seem to me more awkward than the train companies, and that takes some doing. They all seem to be doing their best to make me give up.

12. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

The twitter feed on this one was quite interesting, the TOC trying to defend the charges & why it differed for each item :okay:

13. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

They offer a service.
    They could simply chuck all lost items in the bin. They don’t have to process them.
    Be glad they have your lost property and have looked after it.

Old jon likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    spen666

spen666 Guru

As a "bailee" of the goods they do have a legal duty to take reasonable care of the items in their possession.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice