Raising height of the handlebars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darth vadar

Über Member
Help needed please.

I have a flat bar road bike (and I also suffer with a bad back.)

I think I would benefit from raising the handle bars a bit to make it a more comfortable upright ride.

But, it seems I can't raise the height of the handlebars with this bike.

Somebody told me that I can buy an adaptor sort of thing that will do the job and raise the height of the handlebars.

Is that correct ?

What should I be looking for? What is it called? And, finally, how much do they cost ?

Phew !!

Thanks.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
For threadless steerers you need a Steerer Extender - about £10.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I raised my bars with a stem riser by approximately 2 inches and maybe brought them an inch nearer which helped with a more relaxed ride position.

Also added aero bar grips for added comfort :thumbsup:

screenman

Legendary Member
Are you having treatment for your back, I find most people I know do not ever do enough stretching exercises. This means cycling can sometime be uncomfortable in a lower position. How comfortable are you in the saddle as raising the bars will put more pressure on that part.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
I just used a rising stem to move mine up by about 2"

http://www.bbbparts....stems_bhs25.php

bhs-24_big.jpg

abo

+1 on the stem thing. If you want to try a riser bar then if you paypal me a fiver I'll send you one. I bought it on a whim and it has sat on my work desk (...) doing nothing since. I've got a stem too but it is only a 2-bolt stem so is a bit pants. It'll give you a feel for it before you go out and spend though?

OP
OP
darth vadar

darth vadar

Über Member
Thanks for the tips and advices.

Sadly, I've had a bad back for years and leaning forward just that bit extra is much less comfortable that when using my hybrid which does have a more upright riding position.

At my age, comfort is the thing, and as I am never going to qualify for the TDF or race around at 100 mph, a relaxing comfy ride is all I ask for !!

My LBS have offered me some advice too and said I can try some of their bits until I find the right one. :rolleyes:

Thanks again folks.

abo

My LBS have offered me some advice too and said I can try some of their bits until I find the right one. :rolleyes:

:becool: cool, LBS to the rescue

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Thanks for the tips and advices.

Sadly, I've had a bad back for years and leaning forward just that bit extra is much less comfortable that when using my hybrid which does have a more upright riding position.

At my age, comfort is the thing, and as I am never going to qualify for the TDF or race around at 100 mph, a relaxing comfy ride is all I ask for !!

Thanks again folks.

Great news about the LBS :smile:.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i used a threaded headset converter to raise my bars about 3 inches (on one pompino frame xl). it's rock solid. it's a work around but only cost a tenner.

the quill fits into the steerer tube, you can go as far as 4 inches (min insert line), then stack up loads of spacers and fasten the a-headset as normal.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You might find that your cables are too short if you raise your bars significantly.

I just flipped the stem over on mine which is the simplest and cheapest change you can make. My cables were just long enough to do that.

cannondale-bars-and-stem.jpg

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
You might find that your cables are too short if you raise your bars significantly.

I just flipped the stem over on mine which is the simplest and cheapest change you can make. My cables were just long enough to do that.

cannondale-bars-and-stem.jpg

yep i had to replace my cables, but only got 2 so not too bad

This may be slightly different again but my experience with a bad back arrived when I bought my new bike. I too, flipped the stem and also changed the stem length (in my case from 110mm to 100mm). In terms of my own back pain another dimension was the positioning of the saddle aft or fore (?)

All of these above I tried but I never brought up the height using a stem riser, instead opting to flip the existing one. I also found that when the handlebars were nearer to me (fore position on saddle and 100mm stem) that when I flipped the stem upright, it became too close, almost too scrunched up which again played on my back. Lots of options to try and best of luck.

Top Bottom