Raleigh Europa 23inch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:biggrin: Last week I gave our local scrappie a load of stuff to weigh in & I asked Him in return did He ever get any old racing push bikes for scrap?The reply was I get loads of mountain bikes etc but but not a lot of racers if I do I,ll give you a call or a visit this is what He brought me this morning Cost was a Tenner Raleigh Europa 23inch frame with all the bits on :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC03231.JPG
    DSC03231.JPG
    433.7 KB · Views: 1,060
  • DSC03232.JPG
    DSC03232.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 834
  • DSC03233.JPG
    DSC03233.JPG
    400.7 KB · Views: 610

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
One of my dream bikes as a 10 year old. Always looked good in that livery. My friends older bother had one and it looked just lovely.

The Record Sprint of the same era had the same colour and graphics, albeit with a higher professional spec.

Nice buy for a tenner.

One of my dream bikes as a 10 year old. Always looked good in that livery. My friends older bother had one and it looked just lovely.

The Record Sprint of the same era had the same colour and graphics, albeit with a higher professional spec.

Nice buy for a tenner.
:biggrin: Frame seems to be in very good overall condition & should make a very nice cheap run about. A few more pictures I,v removed the chain (its in the parts washer) I have repaired the tape on the handle bars ready to fit some nicer cloth tape & I have some good 27x1 1/4 second-hand wheels to put on. :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC03230.JPG
    DSC03230.JPG
    486.8 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC03229.JPG
    DSC03229.JPG
    495 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC03234.JPG
    DSC03234.JPG
    408.3 KB · Views: 249

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I like the way old Raleighs are so practical.

Light brackets

Pump braze ons

Mudguard eyes.

Try finding a modern road bike with all of those.

Spokesmann

You might like this... A scan for a Raleigh catalogue of c1973/4

Raleigh Team Record and Europa

This really looked the biz in the 1970s and in my view Id have one as well as a Carlton like them that much. A friend of mine had one and it looked class in that livery. Gave Raleigh some much needed kudos and image points in my view.

Europa.jpg

Goldie

Über Member
Great stuff, I love Europas. Red, balck and yellow team colours must be one of th best colour schemes that Raleigh ever applied to a bike. I've really enjoyed riding my '82 Europa over the last few months - it's a good looking bike, but not so intrinsically valuable that I have to worry about parking it up outside thr Co Op!

airbrake

Those pictures take me back to 1996 when I found a discarded Europa. It was a '78, and made at the Handsworth factory. I rebuilt it, and covered 100,000 miles on it up to 2005. I wore out a lot of components, but the frame and fork are ready for the next 100K !

It would have originally had a Simplex Prestige rear changer.

Looking good.
:biggrin: This one is now on a good pair of second-hand 27 x 1 1/4 wheels & a bit of TLC this weekend should have it up/running & usable more pics to follow :biggrin:

Look forward to seeing the pictures. If you leave it anywhere lock it!!
rolleyes.gif
:biggrin: Don,t worry I won,t be leaving it! I,v had a bit of a setback with this resto in the form of the dreaded stuck handlebar stem (last time I had this problem I ended up having to use the oxy torch to free one off) I will try the oil soaking method for a couple of days to see if it free,s off before having to use the torch!:biggrin:

Spokesmann

:biggrin: Don,t worry I won,t be leaving it! I,v had a bit of a setback with this resto in the form of the dreaded stuck handlebar stem (last time I had this problem I ended up having to use the oxy torch to free one off) I will try the oil soaking method for a couple of days to see if it free,s off before having to use the torch!:biggrin:

Is it stuck in the steerer/form stem?

bauldbairn

Nice pics - those bring back the memories!!! :thumbsup:

My dad bought me a brand new Raleigh Europa in the summer of 1980(early Xmas present) for the pricely sum of £112 from Malley's of Falkirk and it gave me nearly 10 years cycling pleasure.

From memory it was a 21" frame, 5 speed Huret gears, Weinnemann(?) centre pull brakes complete with extra levers for use off the drops whilst upright on the flat of the handle bars. It came with a pump / water bottle holder and chequered water bottle and those useless tiny mudguards. :smile:

I believe there was a 12 speed Europa option available, whereas the(more popular) Arena only had a 10 speed option. The Europa also had 1" slick tyres instead of the 1.5" ones fitted to the Arena - looked pretty skinny next to them and Grifter/Chopper tyres.:biggrin:

Up until about 5 years ago it was still in my mums shed(badly accident damaged) - then she decided to have a clear out and away it went!!!!:sad:

Nice pics - those bring back the memories!!! :thumbsup:

My dad bought me a brand new Raleigh Europa in the summer of 1980(early Xmas present) for the pricely sum of £112 from Malley's of Falkirk and it gave me nearly 10 years cycling pleasure.

From memory it was a 21" frame, 5 speed Huret gears, Weinnemann(?) centre pull brakes complete with extra levers for use off the drops whilst upright on the flat of the handle bars. It came with a pump / water bottle holder and chequered water bottle and those useless tiny mudguards. :smile:

I believe there was a 12 speed Europa option available, whereas the(more popular) Arena only had a 10 speed option. The Europa also had 1" slick tyres instead of the 1.5" ones fitted to the Arena - looked pretty skinny next to them and Grifter/Chopper tyres.:biggrin:

Up until about 5 years ago it was still in my mums shed(badly accident damaged) - then she decided to have a clear out and away it went!!!!:sad:
:biggrin: Couple of pictures now its back on its wheels "tyres to be changed" bits/bobs to be refitted but its back together in one lump :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC03253.JPG
    DSC03253.JPG
    467.7 KB · Views: 619
  • DSC03254.JPG
    DSC03254.JPG
    396.4 KB · Views: 547
Top Bottom