Raleigh Magnum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:rolleyes: Dispite selling my black Peugeot tourer & telling myself I have more bikes than I can ride this one turned up very cheap Its a Raleigh Magnum 10 speed size 23inch frame Mmmmmmm just what I,m after so I bought it sharpish some tlc required but its all there with very little if any use over the years :biggrin:

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 601
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 437
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 323
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 404
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 322
We've got a couple of those in for refurbishment at the moment.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
A bike very much of its time. well worth restoring. Im judging this is a late 1970s early 80s machine...

A Looks very similar to the Carlton Corsair of the same period, but then carlton were just badge engineered Raleigh to all intense purposes. Could turn out to be a nice machine indeed. Good buy!

Zoiders

We've got a couple of those in for refurbishment at the moment.
We get a few and we would not bother.

Gas pipe frame, uni-crown fork, steel rims, not worth the price of a set of tyres unless you use it as fixed hack.

A Carlton Corsair would get saved but a Corsair is several steps up the food chain from a gas piper, we just pull the chainsets on the gaspipers if they are usable and scrap the rest.

Spokesmann

We get a few and we would not bother.

Gas pipe frame, uni-crown fork, steel rims, not worth the price of a set of tyres unless you use it as fixed hack.

A Carlton Corsair would get saved but a Corsair is several steps up the food chain from a gas piper, we just pull the chainsets on the gaspipers if they are usable and scrap the rest.

WRONG!!!!

Even mundane machines like these are worth preserving. Each to their own I suppose.

Zoiders

It's worth converting, it's not worth a restoration.<BR><BR>Watch that fork - they snap.<BR><BR>Thats why we don't bother restoring them, we get them running but we would never source a decent wheelset for one or replace anything, if it's too far gone it gets the bullet. Just being old doesn't make it worth returning to good as new.<BR><BR>Bike recyling is triage. <BR><BR>PS - Never type "WRONG!" in capital letters to start a post, it makes you look like a shrill loony.

Spokesmann

It's worth converting, it's not worth a restoration.<BR><BR>Watch that fork - they snap.<BR><BR>Thats why we don't bother restoring them, we get them running but we would never source a decent wheelset for one or replace anything, if it's too far gone it gets the bullet. Just being old doesn't make it worth returning to good as new.<BR><BR>Bike recyling is triage. <BR><BR>PS - Never type "WRONG!" in capital letters to start a post, it makes you look like a shrill loony.

Sorry but I disagree entirely with your approach. These are worth saving, as a retro bike enthusiast cycles like this were common at the time, they are much less so now and therefore warrant saving for posterity.

There is an arse on another forum who uses the word gas piping too, suffice to say I took him to task over his wording. Thats said it comes down to personal taste and what you consider 'worth it'. Im sure all those people who threw out their old Choppers at the end of the 1970s are kicking themselves now...

So I say its definately worth keeping, even such mundane stuff as an old Raleigh Arena can be saved and brought back to show room condition - I've seen it done to a high standard. Not all of us are into tiresome Italian clones, carbon or titanium let alone the fashionable nonsense of turning everything into a 'fixie' for christ sake.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Interesting discussion!

Obviously, an enthusiast 'doing up' an old bike and a commercial outfit renovating for profit are always going to have differing agendas...

Zoiders

Sorry but I disagree entirely with your approach. These are worth saving, as a retro bike enthusiast cycles like this were common at the time, they are much less so now and therefore warrant saving for posterity.

There is an arse on another forum who uses the word gas piping too, suffice to say I took him to task over his wording. Thats said it comes down to personal taste and what you consider 'worth it'. Im sure all those people who threw out their old Choppers at the end of the 1970s are kicking themselves now...

So I say its definately worth keeping, even such mundane stuff as an old Raleigh Arena can be saved and brought back to show room condition - I've seen it done to a high standard. Not all of us are into tiresome Italian clones, carbon or titanium let alone the fashionable nonsense of turning everything into a 'fixie' for christ sake.
Well it is gas piping.

It's a mass produced hi-tensile frame made by the thousand on the assembly line then fitted with the cheapest parts Raleigh could get away with.

I don't butcher classic rides to make fixed gears thank you very much - but then I don't have any illusions about the worth what were the bike shaped objects of their day either. The comparison with the chopper doesn't wash either, the chopper was a kids bike with an unusual branding and style that reminds people of a certain time in there life, thats why they are collectable.

It wasn't anything collectable or of value when new and it certainly does not have any of the so called heritage value that you seem to think it has now either.

Spokesmann

Well it is gas piping.

It's a mass produced hi-tensile frame made by the thousand on the assembly line then fitted with the cheapest parts Raleigh could get away with.

I don't butcher classic rides to make fixed gears thank you very much - but then I don't have any illusions about the worth what were the bike shaped objects of their day either. The comparison with the chopper doesn't wash either, the chopper was a kids bike with an unusual branding and style that reminds people of a certain time in there life, thats why they are collectable.

It wasn't anything collectable or of value when new and it certainly does not have any of the so called heritage value that you seem to think it has now either.

You obviously have no idea.

Ill leave it there.

Zoiders

You obviously have no idea.

Ill leave it there.
No idea about what?

It was a Raleigh made cheap replica of an actual classic, built so teenage boys would have something that looked the part to use and abuse, it's not 531, it's not even plain gauge 4130 chromoly, it's hight tensile steel with lug sockets there were even possibly spot welded, it's got a unicrown fork which was a mass produced piece of welded tat with a repuation for failing because the crown lets in water, the rims are cheap steel with a chrome plate and spokes are horrible galvanised ones - just what on earth do you think there is to "restore"?

It's got cheap band on components and no braze on's so even if it were used as a fixed you would not be doing anything to the frame to alter it, even if that were a shame in the first place - which it isn't. Also note that hell of a lot of post war clubmans bikes were used with fixed or gears as well on the same frame.

If you want a low cost "classic" Raleigh of the period then buy a roadster like a pioneer with the chain case, stainless rims and spokes, sturmey hubs and dyno as well as rod brakes - Raleigh made that particular type of bike right up until the mid 80's on the same jigs and tools they had been using for decades. Thats something that needs preserving, the real deal utility bike, not a mass produced bike shaped object.

So when you have quite finished being as you would so delighfully put it "an arse" would you care to actually check what you are talking about before you start flinging abuse just because you don't like being told the truth.

Spokesmann

No idea about what?

It was a Raleigh made cheap replica of an actual classic, built so teenage boys would have something that looked the part to use and abuse, it's not 531, it's not even plain gauge 4130 chromoly, it's hight tensile steel with lug sockets there were even possibly spot welded, it's got a unicrown fork which was a mass produced piece of welded tat with a repuation for failing because the crown lets in water, the rims are cheap steel with a chrome plate and spokes are horrible galvanised ones - just what on earth do you think there is to "restore"?

It's got cheap band on components and no braze on's so even if it were used as a fixed you would not be doing anything to the frame to alter it, even if that were a shame in the first place - which it isn't. Also note that hell of a lot of post war clubmans bikes were used with fixed or gears as well on the same frame.

If you want a low cost "classic" Raleigh of the period then buy a roadster like a pioneer with the chain case, stainless rims and spokes, sturmey hubs and dyno as well as rod brakes - Raleigh made that particular type of bike right up until the mid 80's on the same jigs and tools they had been using for decades. Thats something that needs preserving, the real deal utility bike, not a mass produced bike shaped object.

So when you have quite finished being as you would so delighfully put it "an arse" would you care to actually check what you are talking about before you start flinging abuse just because you don't like being told the truth.

If the cap fits...
thumbsup.png

Zoiders

If the cap fits...
thumbsup.png
If you are going to try and be smug or sarcastic at least A - make sure it actualy makes sense, B - don't lecture people on the merits of a bike you know naff all about

Unless you want to use angry capitals again to show off your middle aged daily mail reading outrage at having to live in the modern world, that is always funny.

Top Bottom