raliegh motus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stepphen

i got raliegh motus had it about 9 months done 400 miles so far really struggles up hill have to put it on turbo and down to 3rd had ebike before seems to be lacking in power i think not getting full power though my old one could feel the pull when i pulled away everytime not this one

raleighnut

Legendary Member
i got raliegh motus had it about 9 months done 400 miles so far really struggles up hill have to put it on turbo and down to 3rd had ebike before seems to be lacking in power i think not getting full power though my old one could feel the pull when i pulled away everytime not this one
I believe Raleigh put a lot of development into building/tuning a system that you couldn't notice cos a lot of people didn't like the 'surge' cheaper bikes had.

My own Trike has a thumb throttle only set up (it has all the wiring/connectors for a crank sensor but I didn't buy it) but I'm pretty good at balancing that against demand and the Controller has a 'soft start' feature.

Kinda depends what you mean by a hill

do you mean a gentle slope going on for a mile of so or something more like an Alp

Basically I have had 4 ebikes and they would all get me up a long slope with slightly increased effort

an Alp would require a lower gear and standing on the pedals and a lot of further effort - but less effort than it would take on a normal bike

OP
OP
S

stepphen

nothing that challengeing a long pedesttian bridge i had a ebike before this one so i no what you mean how they work uphill but evans cycles at cambridge offer no ebike back up at all now going through small claims courts never thought i would be in this position

It does sound like something is badly wrong.
Have you tried looking for another Raleigh dealer in your area and asking them if they can help?
My local bike shop has an indoor turbo thingy set up so people can try out different bikes (I thing he set it up because he was scared with people taking £2k wort of ebike out for a test ride!!). He can set this up for an uphill section - if someone did that on a stock bike and then did the same on your you could see the difference - it could also give you some extra professional evidence for the court case

Good Luck

gbb

Legendary Member
A couple observations.
My wife has the Motus with Bosch mid motor, i have a Carrera with a Suntour rear hub motor.
I dont get much pleasure from riding hers, it carrys you along but its smooth, benign, you dont really get any feedback.
My Carrera, it kicks in, the sensation is completely different...perhaps your previous bikes gave you a different feel, one you preferred. The Bosch system will be better quality, probably last longer...but it's different, not necessarily for the good on a personal 'feel' level.

One other thing, mine can feel 'flat', sluggish if I start an incline in the wrong gear, drop a couple gears and whoosh, away it goes. Perhaps you're labouring in the wrong gear ?

Stul

Veteran
I recently purchased a Raleigh Centros, (wanted a Motus, but could not get the model/spec I wanted).
Before I got this I was riding my OHs Giant Prime and I actually find the power delivery better compared to the Centros. Like you, I was initially a bit disappointed with its "hill performance" as the Centros does not seem to have the "urge" that the Giant has.
However I think it may be down to technique? The Centros does not seem to have the torque so you need to plan and change down a little earlier. I find when I do this, combined with putting the motor in a higher setting it is fine. (I spend most of my normal riding in "Eco" mode which (I think), only adds 50% of whatever power you put in.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There might be a fault on the bike, but as others have observed the Bosch motor is no ball of fire.

Comparing it with another Bosch bike in the shop would give you an indication.

Rocky

Hello decadence
There might be a fault on the bike, but as others have observed the Bosch motor is no ball of fire.

Comparing it with another Bosch bike in the shop would give you an indication.
Slightly OT....but it's nice to see you, PR :smile:

Top Bottom