Random tips for touring in Spain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
A friend and I will be credit card touring in Spain in the last two weeks of next month.
The route will be Bilbao ferry port (Santurtzi) to Malaga cycling on the minor roads.
We have two weeks.
Any tips re anything really, but especially regarding the availability and finding of food, potable water and accommodation, would be very welcome. :biggrin:
Thanks

We did a circular tour from Bilbao a couple of years ago. Food isn't allways easy to find and you won't often find a restraurant open in the evening before 9.30 (you'll be the only customers 'till about 11.00 then). I'd make sure I had something with you for during the day and neck a few 'pinchos' early evening to keep you going. Hotels shouldn't be a problem.

The ferry is a bit like a floating Butlins, Karoke, bingo etc. but there are a couple of quiet bars you can hole up in. Hope you don't suffer from seasickness though, as it's likely to be pitching and rolling a bit in the Bay of Biscay.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Thanks for that Dave.
I've been on this ferry before!
And the peculiar eating times of the Spanish could make life difficult for hungry cyclists.
Will need to stock up when we can!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
It's hot. That's the main thing I took away from my cycling trip to Spain - albeit that was May. Try looking at the Sierra de Gredos mountains, south of lovely Avila. Gorgeous place. I believe the Vuelta are going through today/yesterday??? Really beautiful. And carry enough water.

bianchi1

Guru
They seem to be moving a few of the larger roads into "A" roads that have motorway regulations, so no bikes. It's not always obvious untill you are nearly on them!

stewie griffin

Über Member
You can buy bottled water & food in any town/village they will have a shop/supermarket, or as a last resort petrol stations. I always head for the town centre where most times there will be a church & running water for drinking, I've never had any problems with this water, same in France.

Remember opening hours are as a rough guide 10-2ish & 5-8ish, I say "ish" because unless you know for sure these can vary an hour either way.

You can usually find toast or sandwich rolls "bocadillos" in bars from 8ish in the morning, restaurants/bars kitchens are generally open 12-4ish & 8-12ish, again "ish"!

"Pensions" & "Hostals" are your cheapest bet for accommodation, 20euro upwards, that would be a room with possibly a shared bathroom.

Have a great time.

Top Bottom