RANT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sleeper

Why why why why why why why... Is there nothing to lock-up to, anywhere!!!
angry.gif

Night Train

Maker of Things
I cycled to my local Wilkinsons and found that the big pipe shaped things that I could have locked up to were too thick to get my U lock around. Had to make do with a nearby bench.

Don't use those pipe things. We had a spate once where people nicked bikes by hacksawing through those pipes. They were hollow and ridculously thin, very easy for the thiefs to cut them away, rendering a massiey expensive lock almost useless!

OP
OP
S

Sleeper

We used to have those u-shaped pipe things a while back, when asked in a shop opposite I got 'the council came and took them out' ...being a cynic, I wonder if this was when they put up the car parking charges? :sad:

Dora

My local tesco has a sign on the wall that says "cycle parking" When you get there there's nothing there - just a wall.

Great excuse for a ride if y'ask me. I'll make a stop at Asda on the way home, there's parking there. :smile:

darth vadar

Über Member
Maybe a quick letter or email to Head Office might help?

If all the numpty decision makers drive cars and know little or nothing about cycling, then its not really surprising that these things perhaps get overlooked.

I don't think I would go shopping on my bike to be honest.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Maybe a quick letter or email to Head Office might help?

If all the numpty decision makers drive cars and know little or nothing about cycling, then its not really surprising that these things perhaps get overlooked.

I don't think I would go shopping on my bike to be honest.

Interestingly my local Asda has limited provision for locking bikes but Tesco does not. Odd that an American owned company is more thoughtful about bikes than a British one.

My local tesco has a sign on the wall that says "cycle parking" When you get there there's nothing there - just a wall.

Great excuse for a ride if y'ask me. I'll make a stop at Asda on the way home, there's parking there. :smile:

take the bike inside and lock it to a security guy's leg :smile:

I've locked up to the outside of trolley shelters before, but needs to be one where a car isn't going to try and park

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
Whilst I'm by no means complacent, I have a Basta wheel lock on my bike when parking for short periods, like many European city bikes come with as standard, so I don't need anything to lock it to.

Dora

Whilst I'm by no means complacent, I have a Basta wheel lock on my bike when parking for short periods, like many European city bikes come with as standard, so I don't need anything to lock it to.

I actually found that amazing when I was in Germany earlier this year, no bikes were locked to anything - just a small cable lock through the back wheel.
I think they found my obsession with having SOMETHING to lock my bike to equally confusing - everywhere had "cycle storage facilities" but none ever had anything to lock to - yet they were FULL of bikes!!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Supermarkets are unbelievab; inconsistent with cycle parking.

My local Morrisons has two Shefield stands (for some reason put just out from under the roof) which are pretty god. However when they decided to add more parking this was the result: -
morrisons_wheelbenders.jpg

(yes they are wall mounting wheelbenders attached to the floor)

Tesco in town has a stand held down by one loose bolt, so I ignore it, but in Hexham we found these: -
tesco_hexham.jpg

To be fair to our councils, both Egremont and Whitehaven have decent numbers of secure stands to use. They aren't always in the most useful places but they've had a good go.

Top Bottom