Rapha Condor Blackpool Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So is anyone taking part in this? Might seem a strange question coming from a Glaswegian, but my in-laws live in the area and I'm looking to take part in my first proper sportive later this year. I thought this might be a possibility.

Does anyone know the course (I would consider the longer one)? It looks like it has a good sized will in the middle with a significant gradient (above 25%?)

If it has a good turnout it should be OK as a first sportive.

It shouldn't be too hard : it's only 85 miles in total, and as it starts & finishes in Blackpool it has to cross 25-30 miles of flat Fylde Plain before it gets anywhere hilly
- it does say "There will be a first feed station at 32.5 miles before the climbing starts"

First year it's run, so no idea what the organisation will be like or how many people will do it

- which is why I say 'if it has a good turnout...'
It may suffer in that it's the day before the Pendle Pedal, is in the same general area
http://www.pennineevents.co.uk/EntryPages/PendlePedal2009.html
This one is in its 4th year and is a very good event, but the long route is a seriously tough undertaking.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Aye, that looks like a tough route! Not for me this year. I might give the Rapha condor sportive a go, unless anyone has any suggestions (near Glasgow or Blackpool).

PaulB

Legendary Member
andy_wrx said:
- which is why I say 'if it has a good turnout...'
It may suffer in that it's the day before the Pendle Pedal, is in the same general area
http://www.pennineevents.co.uk/EntryPages/PendlePedal2009.html
This one is in its 4th year and is a very good event, but the long route is a seriously tough undertaking.

Those were my thoughts exactly. When I first saw it, I got quite excited but then realised it clashed with the Pendle Pedal and I've done that in all three previous years. The one downside about the new route of the PP though is the road from Blacko to that turn-off before Barnoldswick. If they're using that death trap again, I might seriously consider the Blackpool option. And at least you know you'll be getting SOME flat riding!

Edit. Just had a look. They ARE using that awful road! I did speak to last years' organiser Mark Sandamas about this and he said they'd look into it but they've kept the same route. Shame.

roadjunkie

Might be up for this as never cycled round the area before. Id be interested to know how many metres of climbing the long route entails, are we talking like 1000 metres - anyone got any ideas? Damn, the date clashes with a special birthday (my other half), so I best get the application in quickly!!

PaulB

Legendary Member
roadjunkie said:
Id be interested to know how many metres of climbing the long route entails, are we talking like 1000 metres - anyone got any ideas?

I'd say about treble that. The Pendle Pedal which uses much the same route has almost 3,500 metres of climb. It's well worth it though as it is stunningly beautiful and very quiet countryside.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

So I am still considering this. However, looking at the entrant list there are only 146 registered riders. Not having taken part in a proper sportive before, does this suggest that it might ne too quiet, or is there likely to be a flood of entries on approach to the date itself?

roadjunkie

Ive done rides with 500 riders and felt as though I was out on the course on my own!! In saying that if you can get in with a small peloton of riders I wouldnt let the low number worry you to much. If not it could be a long day!... Atleast they wont run out of supplies at the feed stations!!

PaulB

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
So I am still considering this. However, looking at the entrant list there are only 146 registered riders. Not having taken part in a proper sportive before, does this suggest that it might ne too quiet, or is there likely to be a flood of entries on approach to the date itself?

That's what worries me an all. I am tempted by it and don't like the last road the Pendal Pedal runs on so have considered the Rapha and will deffo do one of them but which one? The Rapha is the prelude to sommat else and so may be considered a sideshow whereas the Pendal Pedal is the main course and will be (is always) treated as such. Which will we get the most bang for our buck from? As ever, there are more questions than answers.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I've decided to do this. There are close to 200 riders now and as the course doesn't look too hard (I'm doing the 85 mile course) I'll give it a bash.

Anyone else doing this?

Was going to register this lunchtime but unfortunately I'm in London village that weekend for a christening. I really fancied it after doing the Manchester to Blackpool a couple of weekends ago, plus I'll miss the night racing as well.

bugslop

How fast will the pace be? I,ve never ridden a sportive but after riding the manchester to blackpool in three hours (thanks to a group from the lancashire road club) and enjoying it i think i might have got the bug. Just don't want to be blown out the back and left on my own.

Christopher

Über Member
magatom, the southern way up the Trough of Bowland is quite steep, it is sustained 1 in 7 for the last bit. There is usually a lot of traffic around on a weekend as well. Then it'll be a long descent through trees & onto bad tarmac, a left turn then along the fellside, nice views, then a short dangerous descent - 1 in 4/5 with a sharp bend at the bottom, watch it there, then rollers back to the Flyde plain with loads of crazy drivers cutting you up (so you'll be right at home). Fun, not too hard.

bugslop, groups usually form and break up on the road. You can get in a fast group if you are lucky but most groups do break up on the climbs. You may well end up on your own, it's just luck I guess.

I might be around that Saturday, getting some miles in before doing the Pendal Pedal on Sunday, I am under-trained for it, not really looking forward to it. Anyway I should be wearing a Cyclechat LS and riding a big yellow Dave Yates...

Top Bottom