Raymond Brown writes another article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
"Hundreds more antisocial cyclists stopped by Police"

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Hom...ial-cyclists-stopped-by-officers-06052011.htm

Anyone remember this reporter? The writer responsible for other such unsubstantiated articles such as the cyclist who punched through a car window, and the driver who attempted to overtake through narrow road works causing a cyclist to "scrape car" as a result.

And who can forget the Cambridge Coucil "wasting money" on providing the Police and cyclists with lights when the unlit are caught. More road rage incidents. More "deliberate ramming".

This guy have a boner for cyclists?

The guy really is a prize pillock, but this article appears to be merely a report, rather than an opinion\fabrication like previous ones.

Cambridge does have a big problem with visiting\tourist cyclists who do not understand\follow the rules.
edit: dammit, the site is so slow I can't read the usual vitriolic comments.
angry.gif

pshore

Yeah, that paper (my local) is in love with the cyclist story. They always start with a 'get them angry' headline and fill in with some realistic facts at the end that most people will miss because they are so riled.

It must simply be about generating page hits and reads for their advertising revenue. Nothing more sinister than that.

I've blogged a couple of times about this if you want to read my ramblings:

Increase in anti-social cycling ?
Has the Cambridge Evening News Turned Over a New Leaf ?

Matthames

Über Member
I noticed that the article was talking about a 32% increase in reported anti-social cycling. However I would tend to disagree with the statements about it being a huge increase. This is because the article does not take into consideration factors that could easily have an effect on those numbers, like for instance an increase in the population of cyclists or more effective policing.

The 32% increase is purely down to several targetted sessions by the police in and around the town center.
Not an increase in the numbers of people doing it, just the amount being caught.

@pshore, ta for your blog links - it is good to catch up with Cambridge news before I get the CEP angle from my mother\gran when I go back there. :wacko: It took me years to get them off the Daily Mail, so I doubt I'll ever manage with the CEP.

Jezston

Über Member
Wait ... only 21,000 people of a population of near to a million read the CEN? Hardly worth worrying about, innit?

pshore

Wait ... only 21,000 people of a population of near to a million read the CEN? Hardly worth worrying about, innit?

Locally, most people I know who work in front of a computer are aware of the stories so it must have pretty good penetration.

The only places the general public are going to learn about local cyclist issues are from the occasional quarterly council magazine through the letter box, and the CEN, who are reporting far more often on ped/cycle/motorist issues than national papers and the beeb.

This story is the typical message broadcast to non cyclists. Thankfully it is not the complete picture. There's a lot to be said for a chat with your neighbours in the street. I have slowly been converting mine, getting them cycling to work and now they act like disciples, spreading the message. :biggrin:

Just to be clear: 21000 is the circulation for the CEN in print. The free weekly version reaches 57000 doors and will contains the same stories. Website has around 250,000 unique visitors a month. The population of Cambridge was 130,000 in 2001 and has been growing.

Jezston

Über Member
Just to be clear: 21000 is the circulation for the CEN in print. The free weekly version reaches 57000 doors and will contains the same stories. Website has around 250,000 unique visitors a month. The population of Cambridge was 130,000 in 2001 and has been growing.

I appear to have massively overestimated the population of Cambridge! Sorry about that :smile:

'tis only a small town...or did it finally get City status?

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
'tis only a small town...or did it finally get City status?

I thought it got city status tbh, due to the Uni and educational status..?

EDIT: oh and yes. To me this does sound like more of a combination of better Policing and people more willing to report problems. I really cant imagine the problem has increased, just gone untackled with some errant people getting a bit brazen because of it.

I should have googled earlier - City status granted in 1951 under the diocese of Ely. Before I was born, but I grew up with the whole 'Town & Gown' mantra so always assumed it was a town. Oh well, you learn something every day - I may as well go back to sleep now then
biggrin.gif

400bhp

Guru
Yeah, that paper (my local) is in love with the cyclist story. They always start with a 'get them angry' headline and fill in with some realistic facts at the end that most people will miss because they are so riled.

It must simply be about generating page hits and reads for their advertising revenue. Nothing more sinister than that.

I've blogged a couple of times about this if you want to read my ramblings:

Spot on

Typical gutter journalism. He must be after a job at the Sun.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
I should have googled earlier - City status granted in 1951 under the diocese of Ely. Before I was born, but I grew up with the whole 'Town & Gown' mantra so always assumed it was a town. Oh well, you learn something every day - I may as well go back to sleep now then
biggrin.gif

Rule of thumb for me is check the name of the local football team.

pshore

Shortly after this thread I went to the CEN website and there was a story about David Cameron talking at some local newspaper conference. He was saying how important local papers were for uniting communities and bigging up local heroes. Then there was the call for nominations of local heroes.

I was soooo close to nominating Raymond Brown for his sterling work uniting motorists and cyclists. David Cameron (and more so Philip Hammond) would be so proud of their achievements.

Top Bottom