Reading or watching Material?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

justonce

Hi, I am looking to LEJOG next year, can anyone give me their recommendations on best books for a new tourer or even DVD's if they exist.
Thanks

snorri

Legendary Member
Are you looking for a book of instruction, or a book for inspiration?
I don't know of any books to help you become a tourer, but if it's inspiratiion you want I could recommend The Wind in my Wheels by Josie Dew, which inspired me to cycle round Iceland!:biggrin:

OP
OP
J

justonce

bit of both

I need some solid facts about the trip as well as something to keep my going through some winter training :-)

snorri

Legendary Member
I am sure you will get some sound advice on here, but first you would need to tell people a little about yourself and your motives for the trip as different approaches will be required. For example,
How much cycling do you do at present, miles per week?
What is the furthest distance you have cycled in one day in the past year?
Do you intend camping/hostelling/hotels or B&B along the way?
Any thoughts on how you will get to/from LE or JoG?
Are you happy to cycle on the shortest route which may involve dual carriageways, or would you prefer to go on side roads even although that will add to your mileage?
Do you have any 'must see' places between LE and JoG?
What about available time scale?
What kind of bike do you have or intend to use?
Don't tell me you are going to have back up from a motor vehicle because I will not be able to help you anymore if you do.:biggrin::blush:

OP
OP
J

justonce

I am not keen on booking accomodation and would prefer to call home each day for "mission control2 to try and find a place depending on how far I've got. We've used laterooms.com in the past and after 4pm you get good rates on lots of places.
100 or so miles per day - 8 - 9 days.
i have transport to LE, not decided on JOG to home yet.
No must see's, its a personal challenge type of thing for charity.

Tan

Land's End to JOG

;) Hello, hope that this is some use.

I've just had Two E - E books, and a great E - E DVD, from the people at www.bicyclebooks.co.uk. and am very happy with all of them, because like you I hope to do the ride next year.

I also got an e-mail from them as well as between all their staff they have done the ride 19 times!! and they offered to help with any advice if I contacted them! Even offered to come with me through Cornwall if I got stuck! (They are based in Callington). Can't fault the service!

Bye now. Tan.

OP
OP
J

justonce

dvd

Thanks Tan - i'd not seen the lejog DVD advertised before (or anywhere else), are there any online reviews of it yet?

Tan

JustOnce, the trouble with reviews are that they are subjective - you can't please all the people all of the time! There is a lot of advice in the DVD - routes, training, bikes, nutrition, so I'll recommend it to you! regards, Tan.

Tan

Thanks for that link to bicyclebooks. As a returnee to cycling, it's nice to read there is a one-stop place for books on riding. I buy between 20 and 30 books a year, mostly from Amazon or charity shops, and during the last year I've read TWO WHEELS TO THE TOP by Reg Harris, PUT ME BACK ON MY BIKE by William Fotheringham and EVERY SECOND COUNTS by Lance Armstrong.

Today I bought TOUR DE FRANCE by Phil Liggett from a charity shop in town for a mere £1.99. Unfortunately this is the 1989 issue but it still looks a decent read.

Any outstanding books I should look out for? I find it fascinating to read about former champions, but also cycle touring too.

CHEXTER

hey i just got a cyclists guide the the lejog off amazon, it was really useful, it showed a altitude chart for each day and also was very useful in helping to plan a route i would recommend it for just something to watch to get you motivated and ready for your lejog challenge!

Top Bottom