Real numptie question about pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamN01

Hello!

As I mentioned in another thread I am now the proud owner of a Sirrus which I picked up yesterday. The rid to work this morning was great! Really comfortable, I deff made the right choice I think.

The truth is I have never had a 'proper' bike before and so I really have no clue (bit embarrassing really);). The pedals on the Sirrus have got these metal bits in the middle that swivel and move when you tread on the them. What are they called? I am guessing they are for use with some special shoes? Are they suitable for use without special shoes? Should I replace them?

Thanks
Sam

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Without seeing them it is difficult to know what they are. Could you post a picture or at the very least check for a brand name and model?

OP
OP
SamN01

SamN01

SPD shoes

I will not pretend I know what SPD shoes are but I am sure a trip to my LBS will help.

Thanks for the advice!

Sam

OP
OP
SamN01

SamN01

Thanks!

Merci!

Hi SamNo1

Re SPD shoes - I would advise taking advice on using/practising before going live.
Quite a few posts on this forum with lots of advice on getting used to SPD/clips.

There's quite a few on here who - when using them for the first time - came a cropper standing at junctions and literally falling over with their feet still clipped-in.

The last thing we want in another injury post :becool:

Bets of luck

TonyEnjoyD

Randochap

Senior hunter
Just remember, on coming to a stop, to kick your heel outward. Practice leaning against a wall, or something.

You'll have no problems, unless you forget the heel out manoeuvre. And you'll soon be wondering how you ever rode w/o clipless.

OP
OP
SamN01

SamN01

SPD

Bought a pair of Shimano SH-M075 which I liked the look of, I also went for multi release cleats at the recommendation of the guy in the shop. The cleats have been attached to the shoe in the most forward position which appeared most appropriate. I've had the Sirrus lent up against the wall and I have set the pedals to a point that 'feels' right. (all this without turning a pedal in anger!)

Tomorrow is the big day and no doubt my first and not my last 'clipless moment'.......... I shall be going around some of the local village roads and hopefully staying on the bike.

Thanks for the advice folks!

S

Amanda P

Legendary Member
... and, do you know, from that day to this, no-one ever saw Sam again.

We still think of him sometimes, cycling on and on, doomed to continue for ever, unable to stop because he'll fall over if he does...

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

How did you get on?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I have this picture in my head of a very old man beard almost in chain, frantically pedalling along now!!!!!
Uncle Phil said:
... and, do you know, from that day to this, no-one ever saw Sam again.

We still think of him sometimes, cycling on and on, doomed to continue for ever, unable to stop because he'll fall over if he does...

:evil::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Yes please tell us. Have you had a clippless moment yet. Do not feel embarrassed if you have

Uncle Phil said:
How did you get on?

Top Bottom