Realistic training programme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Quoth

I'm signed up to do the Etape Caledonia in May, leaving me just 15 weeks to get ready for a 130km ride with 2km of climbing.

I've had a good look around for training programmes (Cycling Weekly fitness guides, Lance Armstrong/Carmichael training ) but they seem to be geared towards people who live for cycling 24/7. Now, I enjoy cycling but I just can't spend 10 hours a week in the saddle.

Has anyone got any tips for building endurance and climbing strength whilst also trying to hold down a job, eat, sleep etc?!

PS: I'm based in London and already commute (slowly, on the flat) for about 1.5hrs a day on 3 days a week. Not getting much done at the moment due to meetings, weather, excuses...

Chrisz

Über Member
I'd suggest increasing the number of times you ride per week (if possible) ad look at getting out for much longer rides on the weekend.

Perhaps you can hook up with a local club and get out with them? You'll certainly need to get some decent miles into your legs.

Also, attack every hill you can to build power into your legs.

jimboalee

You're gonna have to go some.

In prep for the 1998 TdeF start in Dublin, ( a ride round the Wicklow Mtns 1st stage route ), the London lads I knew did a trip to Kent every fortnight. They rode the 1997 Rochester Classic World cup route, which includes Detling hill.

A map of the route might be on some obsure website.

OP
OP
Quoth

Quoth

Thanks for the tips so far - will definitely look into routes into Kent and attack the hills of London (!)

On a related note, has anyone benefited from mixing in other forms of exercise e.g. running, weight training?

jayce

ive done weights for years but stopped now as people seem to think that big legs a no good for endurance ,,,never stopped me though, i would do alot of light work get the burn and look into taking protein after training helps the muscle growth and recovery

Dave5N

Über Member
Quoth said:
Thanks for the tips so far - will definitely look into routes into Kent and attack the hills of London (!)

On a related note, has anyone benefited from mixing in other forms of exercise e.g. running, weight training?

It will help your fitness and a bit of variation is good mentally, but really, if you want to get better at riding a bike, you need to ride a bike more.

Dave5N

Über Member
Marko62 said:
I would suggest buying a book that details a day to day week to week countdown to the event training programme like Cycling: Successful Sportives. I have it and think it's a great book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elite-Performance-Cycling-Successful-Sportives/dp/1408100495

I've been following it for the last few weeks with the Cheshire Cat in mind but have been struck down with a chest infection these last two weeks which has seriously put my training back...

So it doesn't work then?

If you're serious, get a coach. cheaper than all them books probably too.

OP
OP
Quoth

Quoth

Looks increasingly like I have bitten off more than I can chew! I suppose it was a bit naive to think there would be an easy substitute for long, punishing hours in the saddle.

Thanks for the tips all *wobbles off into a blizzard*

jimboalee

Another thought is to find a gym.
Dreaded Fitness First are cheap cus they don't have swimming.

Go on the upright bike and give it a thrashing. Ride one that shows Watts output.

120 - 150 Watts for a flat session to warm up - 30 minutes.
300 - 350 Watts for a reasonable hill climb, for a good 15 minutes.
150 - 200 Watts for a speedy session - As long as you can.

Try 4 minutes at 200 Watts then 1 minute at TOP BAT. Repeat until knackered.

Do this three times each week and in May, you'll be gagging to get up those hills.

Ravenz

Quoth said:
Looks increasingly like I have bitten off more than I can chew!

Absolutely not!!!!!!
You have a clear 12 weeks to train for 130km ride.
Do the gym work.. get a clear and concise programme that progresses every 4 weeks.. an instructor at your gym is duty bound to write you an applicable one.. and review it at your behest, so use that sort of resource... start road work March/April..
HOWEVER, If you cannot commit to an initial weekly regime of 3 training sessions then OK, maybe its sensible to pull the plug at this stage..that be a shame .. especially if you have paid your money over.. eek £54 blimey

anyways you have obviously made time to attend the event in May.. and travel up etc etc all that hassle.. I'd still go for it!:biggrin:

jimboalee

The gym training regime I described was used in prep for my End to End.

It is a self regulating system which naturally increased as I got fitter.

The first session of 30 mins and 15 mins was followed by an open ended 200 Watt cruise which ended up being two hours ( for stamina ).

The fartlek style session of 4 and 1 min sprints started by being four repetitions, but got to a whole hour in just two weeks attendance.

The bike I was using crashed out at 1 hour, so after a sip of juice, I was back on and going on the next hour.

Fitness First at Solihull were good about my extended use of the Upright Bike and positioned a big pedestal fan to blow on me.
I wore proper cycling kit which I ceremoniously wrung out in the changing room producing a pool of liquid on the tiles.

You have time enough, but you MUST push yourself with every session.:biggrin:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
jimboalee said:
120 - 150 Watts for a flat session to warm up - 30 minutes.
300 - 350 Watts for a reasonable hill climb, for a good 15 minutes.
150 - 200 Watts for a speedy session - As long as you can.

Try 4 minutes at 200 Watts then 1 minute at TOP BAT. Repeat until knackered.

Any idea how this would translate into HRM zones? I wouldn't mind giving it a go on the turbo, but I'd have no way of measuring my watts...

jimboalee

Power and Heart rate doesn't correlate.

You might be having a stressful day, so your HR will be up, or inversely, a relaxing, well fed day and your HR will be lower.

It can be done, but very rough.

If you can measure speed on your turbo, 200W is about 20mph.

300 Watts is 23 mph and 350 Watts is 25 mph.

120 W is 16 mph and 150 W is 18 mph.

That's if the roadload simulation on the turbo is realistic.

RSV_Ecosse

Interesting thread.

I was going to sign up for the Caledonia but decided to err on the side of caution and shoot for the Trossachs Ton 100 miler later in the year in July.

I've got a Tacx Flow coming my way this week which will hopefully allow me to seriously increase my weekly mileage without having to look out the window at the sky each day and log onto Met Check every night to see what its going to be like in the morning.

In the meantime I will be hitting the gym with a fair bit of circuit training and rowing.

But I too will be looking for some sort of "structured" training prog that can give me something to aim at, target wise rather than just randomly working out every week.

Top Bottom