rear 'back pedal' brakes on Kids' bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louise A

Hello
We're going to get a bike for my son's 5th birthday - he's not the most coordinated little chap in the world because of several health problems he had when younger so want to give him every advantage when it comes to learning to ride. He's learned to balance in the last few months on a fantastic little aluminium walking bike called a Kokua Jumper. The thing is so light and easy to control that I've been trying to find a first 'real' bike for him which shares those charateristics - I've narrowed it down to the Ridgeback MX14 and also the Islabike CNOC 14. I'd prefer the CNOC 14 based on weight and reviews but I have one big worry about it - the rear 'back pedal' brake. Does anyone out there have experiences of their children using them?
Thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can't go wrong with an Islabike, and it will give him the best chance of getting going.

If cooordination isn't great, I'm sure a back pedaling brake will help. I assume it also has a conventional front brake as well - being an Islabike this will be really light to use - ideal for small hands.

Hang about as there are a few folk on here with kids who have Islabikes.

Coaster brakes are fab, two of my personal bikes have them (a single speed and a three speed) super reliable, easy to use and way more powerful than any kid's hand lever actuated brake. Islabikes are awesome and so is Isla. They are rare in the UK, don't know why*, but every American kid learns on a coaster equipped bike and so do most continental Europeans.

*I blame Raleigh.

OP
OP
L

Louise A

Loads of thanks for these replies - you've reassured me and offered an explanation as to why they are used for which I'm very grateful - I thought there must be a good reason for the brakes as the rest on the details on Islabikes are so well thought through.
So I guess that all in all my question is answered and I shall be calling Islabikes in the morning!
Thanks again

Top Bottom