Rear cassette worn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I've just replaced my chain as the previous one was worn (was measuring showing about 10 1/8). I also took the opportunity to strip the cassette and jockey wheels.

With the new chain on I've noticed a clicking noise - a bit like the noise you get when bearings have gone on the bottom bracket.

On closer inspection it looks like some of the chain links are catching on one of teeth. This happens in any gear and appears to be at the teeth that are located where there are grooves in the individual sprockets (I assume these grooves are to help gear changes). The teeth look bent to me?

I've taken a couple of pics to show what is happening.

cassette1.jpg

cassette2.jpg

I did also notice a bit of sideways movement in the cassette, however I'm pretty sure that was there before?

Any ideas?p.s. bike has done about 1500 miles max.

betty swollocks

large member
The cassette, from this angle looks normal to me.
The noise you mention might arise from either of these causes:-
a) Gears not indexed properly
b) New chain not meshing properly on an old/worn cassette.
c) Is the chain compatible for a nine-speed cassette?
d) Cassette not on tight enough

PeterD

Hi
The rear cassette should not wobble on the hub so if tightened up correctly sounds like worn splines on either the hub or the cassette. Take a look at this link which gives you a step by step guide on servicing the rear hub etc My link

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
The cassette, from this angle looks normal to me.
The noise you mention might arise from either of these causes:-
a) Gears not indexed properly
b) New chain not meshing properly on an old/worn cassette.
c) Is the chain compatible for a nine-speed cassette?
d) Cassette not on tight enough

Thanks for reply, just to comment on your questions.

a) gears are indexed fine. Playing around with the "toggle" (can't remember the word for it at moment) makes no difference to the issue.
b) yes, could be a possiblity. I was doing somw reading and understand a worn cassette will mean the chain will not sit snug between each teeth, esentially sitting proud. This seems to be more of an issue with the teeth bent inwards towards the hub?
c) yes, its the HG chain for
d) could be I guess. Will re-tighten.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Hi
The rear cassette should not wobble on the hub so if tightened up correctly sounds like worn splines on either the hub or the cassette. Take a look at this link which gives you a step by step guide on servicing the rear hub etc My link

I don't believe that to be the problem? Splines are not worn on the cassette.

I pinpointed the ptoblem by moving the pedals very slowly, so using little torque.

GrasB

Veteran
Yes that cassette looks a little too worn, there is an awful lot of space between the back of the roller & front of the tooth.

PeterD

I don't believe that to be the problem? Splines are not worn on the cassette.

I pinpointed the ptoblem by moving the pedals very slowly, so using little torque.
Therefore its a new cassette (worn teeth) which I believe you have now narrowed it down to. Good luck

Davidc

Guru
It could be, at 1500 miles, that the chain got a bit too worn before changing it and took the cassette with it. I find that different examples of HG40 chains vary from 1000 to 2500 miles life for no aparrent reason.

It's worth getting one of the chain checking tools, some are only about a fiver, to do quick tests every week or so.

GrasB

Veteran
But disappointing-I've had the bike since 1 September and not used since 7 December. Granted I probably rode close to 1500 miles in that time but still :angry: It's a tiagra BTW.
Really does depend on how good your drive train care is. If I don't look after the chain I can write a cassette off in less than 1500 miles, normally I get around 3000-6000 miles out of cassette depending on the conditions (cassettes & chains in summer last a lot longer).

I doubt this will be sorted before Sat and I want to do a ride out (60-70 miles or so). Should I wait until the new one is fitted?
If it's not slipping you can however you may dramatically reduce the chain life.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
I thought I took reasonable care of it, but I guess riding it through November in particular won't have helped. I suspect davidc is correct to some extent.

I got back into cycling Oct09 and rode a new Boardman for 11 months - perhaps covering 3.5k miles. No chain slip or damage in that time. I previously cycled a lot. Over the course of perhaps 5 years I must have cycled 15,000 miles on the same freewheel and crankset and changed the chain once. This was back in the 90's. It never occured to me such parts would wear so quickly.

potsy

Rambler
How about putting the old chain back on until you get your new cassette? That way the new chain shouldn't be too worn or you'll have problems again.
I have the same cassette on mine but use kmc chains, on my 2nd chain but still the original cassette 3500 miles later, will change both for new once we are out of winter.
That's a good price for a Tiagra btw, I was looking at one the other week for £18.99 decided to hold off and they are now selling for £23.99
sad.gif

Top Bottom