rear derailleur adjustment frustrations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kindle

ARGHY!

ive just about had it with my rear derailleur, its become mis-aligned over time due to mulitple rear wheel removals and now I cant find seem to get the gears working properly, either they jump or dont shift at all or rattle while peddling.

Ive watched alot of videos on youtube but they all suck , ive tried what they say but none of them work.

Which way does the cable tension nob turn to make cable tension higher? is it clockwise or anti clockwise?

before beginning adjustment, should cable tension be at its highest or lowest?

should i adjust the low stop screw while the rear derailleur is on the highest gear? ive tried multiple high stop screw and cable tension configurations from this and nothing works!

if anyone can recommend a good video for rear derailleur or just a general strategy that would be great.

All the videos ive seen so far leave me with more questions than answers.

Cal

I have to point out I've not done this but his pdf explained gears etc to me in the simple terms I needed.

http://www.howtofixbikes.ca/2006/07/adjusting-your-derailleur.html

snailracer

Über Member
Which way does the cable tension nob turn to make cable tension higher? is it clockwise or anti clockwise?
Anti (for 99% of derailleurs). You should be able to see the rear mech move slightly when you twist the knob.

before beginning adjustment, should cable tension be at its highest or lowest?
If you twist the cable tension knob(s) fully clockwise first, then it's best to set the tension low at the cable clamp, which is what would naturally tend to happen anyway unless you have immensely strong fingers.

should i adjust the low stop screw while the rear derailleur is on the highest gear? ..
No. Adjust the low stop screw when the der is in the lowest gear (i.e. cog with most teeth).

PpPete

Legendary Member
The stop screws just limit the total travel of the mech... stops the chain going off the "end" of the cassette.
Ignore the changing for the moment - get those stop screws right first.

Then sort the cable tension.
The method shown in the Shimano Tech docs works pretty well.
The adjuster goes anti-clockwise to increase cable tension.

But as HLaB says, if the hanger is out of alignment you need to get that sorted first - LBS job unless you have the right tool.

OP
OP
K

Kindle

Well I found the problem, the cable tension nob is broke, the screw it turns to control cable tension has come completely out of the socket and its impossible to get it back in because it looks like the screw thread is damaged.

Also, the cage doesnt even move when I turn the High stop screw on the highest gear.

Looks like i will have to take it a shop and get it fixed, I will probably have to get a new rear derailleur

betty swollocks

large member
Well I found the problem, the cable tension nob is broke, the screw it turns to control cable tension has come completely out of the socket and its impossible to get it back in because it looks like the screw thread is damaged.

Also, the cage doesnt even move when I turn the High stop screw on the highest gear.

Looks like i will have to take it a shop and get it fixed, I will probably have to get a new rear derailleur

A thank you to all those who gave sound advice wouldn't go amiss either.

Top Bottom