Rear-ended

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I was coming home from work last night. I'd just left a village on a stretch of perfectly straight road. It was dark, and although there was snow piled up on the sides of the road, the road itself appeared pretty much free of ice or slush.

I could see coming towards me another cyclist; this was Mrs Uncle Phil coming out to meet me.

I was aware of a car behind as we passed each other; clearly she was going to turn around in the road behind that car. Just as we passed, she yelled. The car then hit me from behind, pushed me along the road for a few yards, and I then went down hard on the tarmac.

At this split second, I was very scared that the car would then drive over and crush me, but there was nothing I could do about it.

My first reaction on getting to my feet was rage, and I'm afraid I yelled something rather rude at the young male passenger who got out of the car. I had really thought I was going to die.

I then calmed down and was polite for the rest of the proceedings. I have the driver's details, and those of her mother, whose car it was and who turned up in short order.

I really have no idea why she just drove in to the back of me. I suspect she had been thinking of overtaking, but couldn't do so because of Mrs Uncle Phil coming towards her. She had left it far too late to brake in time, and Mrs Uncle Phil says she was only an inch or so behind me when we passed each other. When she did brake, she also steered into the snow piled on the side of the road and so skidded for a couple of metres.

Interestingly, when I tried to report the "accident" to the police, they refused to take any details.

Any thoughts on how I get this "accident" reflected in the statistics if the police won't even record it?

I'm OK, except for a very bruised bum. When the bruises ripen, I'll probably have "IRiver" stamped in my flesh - my mp3 player was in my jersey pocket and I fell on it. Yes, it still works!

Gee whizz! I hope your luck changes in the New Year. Glad to hear you're relatively unscathed though. Young inexperienced driver?

thomas

the tank engine
Uncle Phil said:
Interestingly, when I tried to report the "accident" to the police, they refused to take any details.

Try contacting the CTC about it. They would probably be very interested if the police can't be bothered to even record this accident.

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I hope my luck changes too! I have done quite a mileage this year, so by the law of averages... Trouble is, I was hoping to keep up that sort of mileage!

It was a young and presumably inexperienced driver. I also wondered if she'd been in the phone or otherwise distracted at the time, because it's hard to see any other good reason why she acted as she did. That, and our inability to find pencil and paper between us, was what made me want to report it all there and then. My apologies for the following generalization if you are a twenty-something female, but it's my perception that women of that sort of age find it very hard to put away their phones.

I may write a note to the CTC. It's been logged on Stop SMIDSY.

Gordon Bennett!

Glad you're relatively okay.

What reason did the Police give your for not wanting to record the accident? Try again and if they give you any flannel demand to talk to a superior office. If still no joy write to the Chief Constable and the local press - that usually gets some reaction.

Good luck!

longers

Legendary Member
Another one!

Glad you were able to walk away from it.

Have you tried reporting it again? A different officer might well view it differently but I find it hard to believe it wasn't taken seriously the first time you tried ;)

How's the bike?

PBancroft

Uncle Phil said:

Any thoughts on how I get this "accident" reflected in the statistics if the police won't even record it?

Try here.

What can I do if I have reported a crime to the police but they refuse to record or investigate it?

If you believe the recording or investigation of a crime has been prevented due to the conduct of any police officer or members of police staff, then the IPCC can consider a complaint about those involved. However this would not necessarily lead to the recording or investigation of the reported crime. In the majority of cases, the decision of whether a reported crime warrants an investigation is an operational decision made in accordance with guidelines set by the Home Office. If you believe that a police force is failing to adhere to these guidelines, you should raise it with the chief constable of the police force concerned or the local police authority.

So, basically... contact the Chief Constable and complain to him in the first instance.

EDIT: I know it's not a crime as such, but I am making the assumption that the advice would be the same for statistical purposes.

As an aside... if the accident is going through the insurance company quite amicably, does it need to be reported to the Police to be included in the statistics?

thomas

the tank engine
Kaipaith said:
As an aside... if the accident is going through the insurance company quite amicably, does it need to be reported to the Police to be included in the statistics?

To be honest, if a driver was to rear end a cyclist it would show a lack of concentration, which in my opinion should open the girl up to prosecution (or at least the threat of it).

In trouble

Quick question, where you injured?, or the bicycle damaged??

PBancroft

thomas said:
To be honest, if a driver was to rear end a cyclist it would show a lack of concentration, which in my opinion should open the girl up to prosecution (or at least the threat of it).

Potentially, but what I mean to ask is if the reason for reporting it to the Police was to include it in the National Statistics, wouldn't the incident already be recorded for that purpose through the insurance firms?

thomas

the tank engine
Kaipaith said:
Potentially, but what I mean to ask is if the reason for reporting it to the Police was to include it in the National Statistics, wouldn't the incident already be recorded for that purpose through the insurance firms?

At a guess I would assume that the data from the insurance company would only be used by them to access future premiums of that person and similar people/cars...rather than for national use for traffic accidents.

bad boy

Über Member
wow sorry to hear this, I really hope your ok and its not shook you up to much.

I wouldn't know what to do in a situation like that just keep an eye on your physical state I know you say you have a bruised bum but dont be shy of getting yourself checked out properly.

sorry I cant comment on the lack of police assistance I think the advice above is pretty sound on the way forward there.

Hope you have a good Xmas.

classic33

Leg End Member
Recent change in the law now means all incidents reported to the police have to be investigated.
It may be why they will not take the report from you. Report it to them. If they don't want to know, then your next step is a formal complaint. In order to do this you need to speak to the senior officer in the station. Ask to speak to them & state clearly why you need to speak to them.

Harbornite

classic33 said:
Recent change in the law now means all incidents reported to the police have to be investigated.
It may be why they will not take the report from you. Report it to them. If they don't want to know, then your next step is a formal complaint. In order to do this you need to speak to the senior officer in the station. Ask to speak to them & state clearly why you need to speak to them.

Might be wrong (bit rusty) but RTCs are not recorded by Police unless there is an injury to one of the parties, or an allegation of offences.

If its simply a 'knock for knock' as long as both parties have exchanged details etc then that is all the action that is required.

Maintain the fact you have bruising, photograph it, trip to the Doctors etc - get it recorded.

Ring again or go to your local Station & even show your bruise to an officer when they take the statement...might be the only time you can bare your bum to an officer without getting your collar felt!!

That aside hope you and your bike aren't too damaged, sounds like a lucky escape.

Top Bottom