Rear light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adscrim

Veteran
I've got a cateye LD1100 on the rear and can't fault it. I was once stopped by a cyclist on Bethenal Green road because it was so bright he'd thought I was a motor bike from the rear. Obviously I'd stopped a traffic lights and he hadn't 'caught' me!

Davidc

Guru
[QUOTE 1165903"]
Can't go wrong with a Smart LED, put an elastic band around the casing.

For £14 it is insanely bright.
[/quote]

Superb light. Look online - you shouldn't pay more than £10. e.g. here. I run one day and night on rechargeables. It shows up well even in bright sunlight.

I've heard that some people have trouble with the light coming out of the backplate, hence the elastic band, but I've never had a problem without.

The only issue is the frequent complaints from other road users about it being too bright.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
+1 for the Smart 1/2 watt. I looked at Dinottes but couldn't find a UK supplier who had any, and at ~ £100 seemed a bit much for a be-seen light.
Coincidentally i've just dug out my Ay-Ups too !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mars 4, Smart 1/2 watt and the RSP Astrum (2 x 1/2 watt LEDS -1 diffused 1 spot)

The RSP is a cracker for the money - under £20 if you shop about (got mine for less than £15 last year)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Smart 1/2 watt here as well. I use 2 one on flash and 1 on static.

joggingbob

Also use 2 x Smart Superflash . Bright enough (in my opinion). Just need to sort out the front lights!

I use the Smart 1/2 watt too, which is a great light for the money. Its only drawback in monsoon condition mine lets in water, fortunately it fails to on solid (default is flashing) , so its not really a problem. When I know I'm going out in really extreme weather I've used the aforementioned Mars 4.0. In the darkest winter I use both the Smart defaults to flashing and the Blackburn defaults to steady.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I use a smart 1/2 watt flasher and 2 of the standard smart flashers on the panniers, then in winter i have a micro flasher on the back of the helmet as well.

"what you did not see me? ":thumbsup:

Davidc

Guru
It's reassuring to see that I'm not the only nutter who rides around with bikes looking like a Christmas tree! No one is going to claim they didn't see me.

To stop HLaB's problem with water I have a tube of silicone grease in the garage, and each time I change batteries on the lights (all of them not just the Smarts) I smear a tiny amount into all the casing joints - from the outside. That goes for the dynamo connectors and lights as well. Occasionally they get some around the electronics inside them (but care around the battery connectors - the stuff's an insulator). It's a habit from working with electronics and cabling outdoors for years. So far I've never had a problem with any of them. The present tube has lasted at least 10 years so doesn't cost much.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
[QUOTE 1165902"]
Sorry to remind you folks, but the nights are drawing in.

My front is sorted. I've got an Ayup, and a couple of Tesco torches, so I can happily blast down the towpath in pitch darkness.

Now I just need to work on my rear. I lost three rear lights last year -bouncing off mainly, but I also dropped the bike once while climbing on it (you've seen the Youtube clip!).

what I'd like is something as bright as can be and comparable in build to the Ayups. I know that you can get them as add-ons to some of the front lights, but is there one that is rear-only?
[/quote]

Well there is only one choice then, forget Smart or Cateye and get a DiNotte 400L, there nothing to match them.

Cubist

Still wavin'
In addition to a Topeak rear I bought a couple of the Tesco Micro-Led lights. These form a matched pair on either side of the seatpost/saddle clamp using electrical tape. The first click gives an absolutely unmisssable insane strobe effect. Less than a fiver for a pair, the fronts go on the bars either side of the stem, again taped on.

The kids also have them on their bikes, as "be seen" lights. They are extremely effective in the pitch black, we could see them on the other side of the campsite in France!

Top Bottom