Rear Ultegra Shifter Not Shifting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bug

Today my rear shifter seems to have decided that it will only give me three sprockets on the back. As I shift on the small lever I get click, click, dull-click then nothing.

Anyone have any ideas about what might be the cause and what I can try to do to fix it? I've liberally sprayed with WD-40 (shifter and mech) in case something was seized, but this has made no difference. I'm at a loss to know whether it is the mech not moving or the shifter not shifting. It's a pain as I'm going to have to spin at over 100 back home tonight in order to catch my train... :becool:

My other alternative is to take it into Evans (yuck!), but they'll be booked up for at least a week.

Cheers in advance...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
You could try undoing the cable & shifting without any tension on - if the clicks are all there, then look at lubricating the cables & checking the range of movement of the rear mech.

Unfortunately, if all the clicks aren't there, I'd think that would point to a more serious problem in the shifter mechanism itself :smile:

OP
OP
B

Bug

Thanks, John... Looks like a problem in the shifter, unfortunately. Somehow I managed to get it to shift past the problem last night, but further testing shows there's no click between 2nd and 3rd gears. All the other shifts are fine.

Thankfully the bike is still under warranty so I'll get it fixed whilst I'm on holiday in a couple of weeks. In the meantime I'll have to remember not to go past 3rd gear, 'cos it's only about 1 in 100 shifts back that work... :smile:

Top Bottom