Rear view mirror

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Does anyone use one?

I could use one for one junction on my ride home; it's a roundabout at the end of a fairly long slog uphill. I have to get into the R lane to go straight on, it's narrow, busy and I'm not going fast enough to slot in with the traffic (or have a reliable look over my shoulder).

BSRU

A Human Being
I have a mirror, it is a supplement to shoulder checks not a replacement.

Matthames

Über Member
In that situation, shoulder checks would be better. This is the sort of situation you have to be assertive with the traffic. If you give a nice clear RH arm signal in good time followed by a shoulder check, I have found that most drivers would slow down to allow you to make the manoeuvre. If the driver behind doesn't slow to allow you to switch lanes then negotiate with the driver behind that driver, this is why you need to do this sort of manoeuvre in good time.

Mirrors are excelent as an aid, but as above not a replacement for a proper shoulder check.

To me they are simply a way of keeping an eye on what is happening behind you.

I have a mirror that fits into the end of my drop bars (it's a tourer so I am allowed) which I use as a quick check if a shoulder check would be either dangerous or impactical. Doesn't mean that I don't look over my shoulder just means that I don't do it so often.
I.E A quick glance down and I can see headlights comeing up behind me then a shoulder check before a manoever confirms what I know and lets the driver know that I about to make a manoever.

I can't ride without a mirror these days. I have a bar end one on the commuter and a down tube one on the road bike. You soon get to know what is 100% clear behind you and what needs a shoulder check. I find the extra relaxation of knowing whats going on behind outweighs the geekiness. :tongue:

CharlesF

Guru
A rear view mirror seems a good idea for me, I wear multifocal specs and a quite glance over my shoulder has to be done carefully, or all I see is a blur, if I'm not looking through the right segment.

JoysOfSight

I always used to shun the idea of mirrors (thought they were ridiculous, frankly). Then I got a bike which makes looking around a bit less practical, and had to fit it with a mirror...

Wouldn't be without it now. To be honest it replaces at least half of my shoulder checks.

So long as you don't assume it's showing you anything more than what you're seeing in it, that's not much of a problem. To be honest the bigger hazard is that I sometimes end up watching excitement going on behind me and forget to look where I'm going! :ohmy:

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I Watched that programme are you fitter than a pensioner. There were some elderly cyclist doing a relay race against the teenagers. I noticed the one elderly guy had this mirror on a rod extension attached to his helmet. Does anyone know of these and where you could get them from?

jimboalee

I haven't had mirrors on a bike since I had Ape-hangers and extended forks.

I used to hang the newspaper delivery bag over the clamps.

fixedfixer

Veteran
I Watched that programme are you fitter than a pensioner. There were some elderly cyclist doing a relay race against the teenagers. I noticed the one elderly guy had this mirror on a rod extension attached to his helmet. Does anyone know of these and where you could get them from?

St John Street Cycle and prob elsewhere too. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/blackburn-blackburn-helmet-mirror-prod15917/ Have used one but it takes ages to adjust the angle of the little mirror so you can see behind. The trick is to not move your head or the mirror angle moves too. Easy to knock the mirror when you take your helmet off as well.

henshaw11

One of the better offerings is the Take-A-Look - it attaches to your cycle shades/glasses (tho' they probably need to have a suitable profile) - might be able to attach it to the helmet too. There's someone on ebay selling them (which is where I got mine), rather than having to faff around ordering from the states. Oh, and they're suitable for rhs fitting too. I don't bother with one on a DF bike, but it's bloomin' useful on my recumbent.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I have been using the "Take A Look" mirror, attached to my helmet visor for many years. It's one of those "once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it" things. This mirror has been in continuous production since the 1960s, with no changes! HOWEVER...if you're looking for a helmet mirror...don't forget to consider if the mirror will mount to the right side of your helmet! I live in the States, and have never tried mounting my mirror on the RH side. I'm not sure that the Take A Look can be adapted for RH side (riding on left).

Top Bottom