Rear view mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonredhornet

I used to use a Cateye bar end mirror on my mountain bike. I found it was only useful during the day light but I don't think it's any better than looking over your shoulder. Also what I find is when people see you look at them they tend to give you more consideration when passing, although that might just be in my mind :biggrin:

I think mirrors on recumbents are a must though (from what I've heard) as it's more difficult to look over your shoulder?

Sheepy1209

Veteran
I use one, because as a motorcyclist I found it difficult to adjust to riding without one.

The main benefit for me is I can plan manoeuvres well in advance, e.g. looking for a safe point to adopt primary.

It's NOT a substitute for looking over your shoulder, but I tend to adopt the 'lifesaver' which is a sideways glance taught to motorcyclists before any change of position. In less clear-cut situations I'll still resort to looking rearwards and getting eye contact with a driver.

Sometimes it helps to make it obvious I'm looking - e.g. passing parked cars, so I might look behind me even though I don't need to from the point of view of observation.

I've yet to find a decent bar mirror though - I currently use a cateye which is fine when it's in the right position but impossible to tighten enough to withstand anything but a smooth surface.

jonredhornet

Sheepy1209 said:
I use one, because as a motorcyclist I found it difficult to adjust to riding without one.

I know what you mean, after I've been riding the motorbike for a while and switch back to the bike I find I keep looking down at my non-existent mirrors :biggrin:

shunter

jonredhornet said:
I know what you mean, after I've been riding the motorbike for a while and switch back to the bike I find I keep looking down at my non-existent mirrors :tongue:

............ or go for the indicator and then realise you don't have one :biggrin:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
CharlieB said:
Is there any advantage to rear view mirrors in a busy commute, please?
Bar mounted/helmet mounted?
Any users?

Asked myself the same question a while back, then realised it was for the same reason as Sheepy.

I would suggest, if you can, to change your riding style and take more "life saver" looks.

I'm not be "purist" here (I have nothing against mirrors), I just think that the communication that a cyclist provides by looking back at a car/vehicle is far more important than the benefit of glancing in a mirror to plan your move (especially given the blind spot issue that mikey mentions). I think it is far better to just "get used" to looking back really, really often (which is tricky at first).

On a motorcycle you are trained to look in your mirror every 20 seconds or so (at least I was) thats a lot of "rear looking" for a cyclist, but you get the idea.

If it helps, I once filmed my whole ride into work and posted it for "self improvement";)...I got tons of suggestions from the forum on how to adjust my riding style (many of which I have adopted, some I have ignored) but it took a pal (who doesnt ride) to notice that i didnt look back enough.....

I do now...it is sooooo important

PS Mirrors "stick out" quite a bit and cause issues when filtering on a really busy commute as well.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
jonny jeez said:
PS Mirrors "stick out" quite a bit and cause issues when filtering on a really busy commute as well.

*cough*

3878648578_ec9e964175.jpg

Quite a lot of fun filtering on that - the limitation is the width of my shoulders.

I'm with you on mirrors though. On an upright I generally prefer to look back because of the negotiation thing. I tend to use far more thanks you and thumbs up to drivers in compensation for not being able to look back on the recumbent.

Attachments

• 3878648578_ec9e964175.jpg
    3878648578_ec9e964175.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 9

jimboalee

Riding a recumbent is a bit like flying a Supermarine Spitfire.

There was an 'optional' rear view mirror.
You could see next to sod all in it...

and

there were madmen behind who were trying to kill you. :ohmy:

GrasB

Veteran
Mirrors, I like the theory & tried to get them to work for me but in practice I found they didn't work. I found they were always in the wrong place so my arms/hands blocked the mirror or they got in the way of my hands on the bars causing more problems than they solved. The one which worked from a mounting POV had vibration issues which rendered it useless.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I must admit I've had the same experience as you GrasB, at least on uprights. I don't bother with mirrors on uprights. The setup on my recumbent is much different and works really well.

Top Bottom