rear wheel wobble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milo

Guru
Hi just noticed that my rear wheel seems to push from side to side rather easily. The quick release is all tight and its placed in properly cant figure what it could be?

Tharg2007

Veteran
axle? bearings?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I get this on mine sometimes - I still don't undersatnd how it happens, given the QR's kept tight, but it's the cone working itself loose somehow. Just remove the wheel, screw the cone on till it's finger tight+/-, then put the wheel back on. Three minutes, give or take. (At least, assuming yours *is* the same reason as mine.)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[quote name='swee'pea99']I get this on mine sometimes - I still don't undersatnd how it happens, given the QR's kept tight, but it's the cone working itself loose somehow. Just remove the wheel, screw the cone on till it's finger tight+/-, then put the wheel back on. Three minutes, give or take. (At least, assuming yours *is* the same reason as mine.)[/QUOTE]

There should be a lock-nut with the cone (on both sides). They should be separated (You'll need a thin "Cone-Spanner" in order to do this properly.
You then tighten the cone to the bearings until there is just no play, but not so tight as to feel stiffness or graunchiness.
The lock-nut is then tightened AGAINST the cone. NB, the cone should not move as it is tightened against the bearings. When the lock-nut is tightened properly neither should come loose.

Properly adjusted cone & cup bearings will last an age if properly cared for, if not they'll soon be NFG.

All is here...

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

bonj2

wot FF said.

once they've developed play they're on their way out, might last a bit longer but if you have to keep tightening just get a new hub (or new wheels)

matters more how old they are in miles than how old they are in months. do you ride quite a lot>?

yenrod

miloat said:
Hi just noticed that my rear wheel seems to push from side to side rather easily. The quick release is all tight and its placed in properly cant figure what it could be?

Dead easy sack off the cones spanners lark - just get 2 adjustable spanners or 2 spanners that fit the outer lock nuts on the axle then turn clockwise !

Dont turn TOO much just a bit at a time as TOO MUCH will pressure the bearings inside, just so you take the slack out of the play ! ;)

Unless you wanna do the cone spanner bit :biggrin:

robbarker

Top Bottom