Reasonable Budget- Road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boybiker

Guru
Hi this is my first post so i would like to say hello to everyone. Heres a little about me i am 17 years old and have had lots of second hand mountain bikes and really enjoy ridding off road but would like to do some on road ridding now for a change.

Here is my question how much is a reasonable budget for a road bike as it will be my first road bike it doesn't need to be top spec but I want some thing 'half decent'.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
£300-500? for a first one. Depends how crazy you are! I'm sure you'll like road riding.

gbb

Legendary Member
Hi BB....
Being in your position a few years ago, (although considerably older :smile: )..i faced the same question, i think we all do.
In the end, my first new roadbike (about 6 years ago)was a Raleigh Chimera at £250.
Its been a fine and solid bike, Shimano Sora equipped, strong wheels...quite a heavy frame.....but it still goes well and did me fine for 3 years as my mainstay bike.
Its my winter bike now, and its done about 5 or 6000 miles. Still not ashamed of it...but..
3 years ago, i got a Bianchi Via Nirone, £550 then, and its a level above in comfort, lightness, quality...you get so much more pleasure riding and owning it.
In simple terms, you can get a fair bike for £300...but you get a better one for £500. Obvious really innit :eek:

Alves

2nd hand can be a great route esp on Ebay.... if you have a knowledgable friend to help or the seller is a trustworthy cyclist who isn't going to rip off a fellow cyclist.
My 1st good road bike was bought this way for £180 and I still ride it. Some cyclists sell off bikes really only to make space for the new one and you can get a bargain this way esp if the frame is of "unfashionable" alloy or steel. Never buy 2nd hand Carbon anything incidentally.
If you want to buy new, Giant are probably the best value large and quality manufacturer currently although Decathlon do some very cheap own brand bikes too.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Hello
I'm also young, 16, 17 in September:biggrin:
My bike is a Giant SCR4. They are around £350. Less if you go to an ex-factory shop. They are nice bikes, easy to upgrade and gives a nice ride. It was what i could afford, and i've done 3857miles on it since just before xmas, 3696miles this year. So its done a few hard miles, and been used through winter with no problem.
I havent upgraded anything on it really. Just put a new set of tyres on, new saddle and thats about it. Its my main bike so is used on club rides.
Only thing is that its noisy. But then the whole SCR range is. Only way to get rid of the noise is to not listen to it or go faster so you just hear wind noise.B)
You could go for the SCR3 or SCR2 if you can afford it. I dont like the shifters on the SCR4 because you have to get up from the drops to change gear.

Tynan

Veteran
I was looking second hand for a while

good stuff on the CTC site, seemed like genuine sellers

OP
OP
boybiker

boybiker

Guru
Thanks for all your reply i certainly have a better idea of what i can get for my money now. Like all things i will probably start with a cheaper bike at £400 (ish) and build my way up.

Thanks again :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
£400 will buy you a very nice bike, they get nicer the more you spend, but the jump isn't that big...i.e. £400 is 2000% better than a £100....

A £1000 bike is a little better than a £400 bike, things are better finished and stuff and it might be a little quicker....

Top Bottom