Reasons not to wear helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tigger

Über Member
Now that I've become aware that many people are against wearing helmets and also the idea/threat of compulsion, I've been reading over the many threads covering these topics.

For me, I wear a helmet and a recent accident has given me reasons to justify to myself doing so. However, I didn't always feel that way, certainly not when I started cycling. Can we please park the whole compulsion thing completely for now and focus on what makes people CHOOSE NOT TO wear helmets?

The reasons I see frequently cited are:
1) Statistics can show that death/injury is not that much higher than other everyday activities where people don't wear helmets
2) A belief that the construction of current cycling helmets will not prevent serious injury or death anyway
3) A belief that in certain instances helmets could actutally increase risk upon impact, i.e. increased dissipation of force to the neck

Please don't comment on the whys and wherefores of this - this has already been done to death - although by all means if you have something to add please do so.

What I'd really like to know is whether there are any other common objections / reasons why we don't wear helmets?

Thanks,

Tim

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I don't need a reason.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I can't park the compulsion thing though because you say "CHOOSE NOT TO".

I like to have that choice. I think it's a good thing.

Tyke

I like to feel the wind in my No1 haircut :biggrin:

I am also against compulsory helmets but have recently (approx 4 months) started wearing one after 50 years without, my choice. I was very supprised how you feel the wind through the vents on modern helmets. I did 16 miles without it today and didn't really feel any better for it.

Each to his/her own choice on weather to wear or not.

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
I can't park the compulsion thing though because you say "CHOOSE NOT TO".

I like to have that choice. I think it's a good thing.

Yeah thats exactly what I am saying. Lets not talk about compulsion as it means you don't have a choice not to wear a helmet.

GrasB

Veteran
a) Every time I've been wearing a helmet & had a big off I've ended up with serious head trauma in the form of concussions.
b) Every time I've not been wearing a helmet when I've had a big off I've walked away with a few scratches/grazes to my head.
c) I've found that helmets tend to generate a lot of wind noise, this dramatically reduces the amount of information I get from my ears, result is I'm far less aware of things happening which are beyond my sight lines (I often hear badly driven motor vehicles a long time before I have an opportunity to see them).

I wear a helmet when riding off-road because I feel that I'm quite likely to hit my head on something like a rock or tree. When on the road I'd prefer to deal with a few scratches than a concussion (reference points a & b).

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
a) Every time I've been wearing a helmet & had a big off I've ended up with serious head trauma in the form of concussions.
b) Every time I've not been wearing a helmet when I've had a big off I've walked away with a few scratches/grazes to my head.
c) I've found that helmets tend to generate a lot of wind noise, this dramatically reduces the amount of information I get from my ears, result is I'm far less aware of things happening which are beyond my sight lines (I often hear badly driven motor vehicles a long time before I have an opportunity to see them).

For those reasons I think compulsion is bad as it's the riders decision on which sets of risks to take. I wear a helmet when riding off-road because I feel that I'm quite likely to hit my head on something like a rock or tree. When on the road I'd prefer to deal with a few scratches than a concussion (reference points a & b).

Thanks GrasB - good to know. But remember compulsion is not being debated here... :thumbsup:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Because i don't have a bicycle between my legs, then i wouldn't wear one :smile:

I would look silly wearing a bicycle helmet without a bicycle

Now that I've become aware that many people are against wearing helmets and also the idea/threat of compulsion, I've been reading over the many threads covering these topics.

Don't make the mistake of confusing the options.

Being against compulsion or the "wear a helmet or die" type of bullying is not anti-helmet.

The important thing is that the information is made available as to what helmets can and cannot do.

If someone goes out expecting the helmet to save them in a collision with a car, or to replace experience and training then they are putting themselves at risk.

In many cases training, a properly maintained bike and riding sensibly will achieve more benefit as buying a helmet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom