Recent riots & unrest

Milzy

Guru
I think it’s important to be able to protest. Peacefully is best but sometimes too peaceful won’t get heard.
What’s going on in Bristol right now? Something looks sinister to me.
Why do a lot of the public think Covid laws don’t count if it’s to do with a protest or vigil?

HMS_Dave

Pillock
I was awaiting this thread... :popcorn:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
At first glance it does look like a good excuse to have a go at the Police.
I’m impressed the British public have lasted a year of lockdowns before kicking off.

Eric Olthwaite

Insert witty self-deprecating description here
The People's Republic of Stokes Croft in Bristol is packed full of wealthy Trustafarian Social Justice Warriors who are beyond the borderline of insanity. A couple of years they rioted over the opening of a Tesco Express FFS. There's no extrapolation from what these morons do to any wider social significance.

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
Article 2 trumps article 11. No ifs or buts.

Unfortunately, a small bit very vocal minority think their article 11 rights are more important than everyone elses article 2 rights.

From what ive seen of the footage its the usual suspects this time around - IC1 dreadlocked peace hippies who kid themselves that its ideological, and the hoodie and baseball cap crew who tag along for any targets of opportunity. It's not normal folk, groups of angry regular people, or even radical feminists - it's the regulars. A lot of people will be sharing a bedroom with a bucket to poo in before this affair is done with.

Last edited:
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
The trouble is that the Police and Crime bill is a terrible piece of law.
I don’t agree with some of it but these points sound good to me
  • Changing sentencing rules so that serious criminals spend more time in jail before they can be conditionally released
  • Judges will be allowed to consider jailing child murderers for their entire lives
  • Maximum sentences for low-level assaults against emergency service workers doubled to two years
  • On terrorism, the bill creates powers to more closely monitor offenders released from prison
  • Community sentences for less serious crime to address underlying problems in offenders' lives
  • Changes to sexual offences law to tackle abusive adults in positions of trust, such as sports coaches and religious figures

lane

Veteran
I think it’s important to be able to protest. Peacefully is best but sometimes too peaceful won’t get heard.
What’s going on in Bristol right now? Something looks sinister to me.
Why do a lot of the public think Covid laws don’t count if it’s to do with a protest or vigil?
A lot of the public and MPs as well. Although I think you will find, they only think this if the protest is something they like.

Bit like cyclechat really - pages about the arrests at the vigil recently but I didn't see any complaints about the arrests at the anti covid protests yesterday.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
This is, I'm afraid, what I personally thought was going to happen in 2021 albeit I thought the protests would've been about Brexit.

Those will come once the world wakes up again after Covid. 2021 isn't going to be pretty.

Top Bottom