Recipie Ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Okay all you budding cooks, share some recipie ideas with me.

Usually at the weekend I'll cook Mr Plax something like spag bol, curry, pasta bake, tuna steak with tatties and veg etc. Getting a bit bored of all those so if anyone has any exciting recipies please share.

Recently I have got into making pies. They are good value for money and will do a couple of dinners for two people. I prefer steak pie in various combinations, so all you do is get a pound of stewing steak (v cheap), roll it in flour, slow cook it in 3/4 pint stock/herbs/worcester sauce for two hours on a low heat. Let it cool and then add stuff - eg carrots, mushrooms, celery, spuds, parsnips. Plop it all into a dish, including the gravy, and then make some pastry to go on top. Bake it for a bit and then scoff with steamed veggies.

I also do a mean cottage/shepherds pie, I reckon a cheese and onion pie would be good, as well as chicken and leek, although I've not tried these.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It amazes me that no-one does stews nowadays - probably because you have to think ahead. The key to a good stew is at least three hours in a low oven - makes the meat really tender.

You'll need a casserole dish: I like cast iron, but pottery's fine. Put the oven on low - 110 give or take.

Get more or less equal amounts of stewing steak and veges cut into 1" chunks - carrots, swedes, any root veg. Fry up the steak just till all the red has gone brown, put to one side; fry all the veges for a few minutes. Chuck in a slightly heaped cornflake spoon of flour and mix it round till it's soaked up juice and there's no dry flour left, put the meat back in and mix it up, then pour in about 3/4 pint of stock - a cube in hot water mixed up. Keep stirring as it thickens - couple of minutes. Then put the whole lot in the oven in the casserole, using foil to get as tight a seal as you can, and leave it for three hours.

Serve with mash.

domtyler

Über Member
Get yourself a slow cooker for delicious stews and casseroles.

One of my favourites at the moment is Fish Pie that my better half does once a week, fantastic. You need salmon, a piece of white fish and prawns. That is in a kind of white sauce and covered in mashed potatoes and cheese and baked in the oven.

Also didn't see stir fries on there? A lovely stir fry once a week is a must in my opinion.

Have you got a deep fat fryer? If not, you need one. A weekly treat of home made chips with either steak or chops is one of life's little luxuries that should be denied to no man.

And now we are getting into winter you must start to practice for Christmas day by cooking a nice roast with all the trimmings on Sundays. If you buy a whole chicken, save enough meat for a curry on the monday night, but also make a stock out of the bones and leftovers and make Risotto on Tuesday too.

Graham O

Take a salmon steak and spread the flesh side with green pesto. Wrap in smoked bacon and use cocktail sticks to keep it wrapped. Grill top and bottom until the bacon is cooked and slightly crispy. Serve with whatever takes your fancy, but salad and couscous are recommended. Very quick, simple and extremely tasty.

domtyler

Über Member
Another thought is to vary your carb delivery methods! :evil:

Try things like whole wheat pasta and brown rice occasionally, cous cous, bulgar wheat, sweet potatoes (I prefer to have one sweet potato in with the rest normal or you can go half and half, whatever, experiment.) Buy some of those Taco kits you can get, that is always good fun.

domtyler said:
Get yourself a slow cooker for delicious stews and casseroles.

Seconded, we've just been given one and it's brilliant. When I got in from work yesterday I made a lamb korma in it and it was delicious.
Basically, brown the lamb (about 1 1/2 pounds) in a frying pan and put it in the slow cooker. Then brown a large onion, sliced. Before starting to do this, you've mashed up two or three cloves of galic, some fresh grated ginger and about 50 grams of flaked almonds, with enough water added to this to amke it into a thick paste. Add this to the onions in the pan, then add some ground cumin, ground coriander, chilli powder, ground chives and about half a pint of water. bring it all to the boil, then throw it all in the slow cooker and cook on high for three hours or low for six.
The nice thing is, once it's in the slow cooker you can forget about it - I've got a veggie chilli on the go as I type this, and I'm going to go to bed in a minute (got to be up at 1am) and leave it for Ms RT to eat when she gets home at about 6.

Or, following on from Graham O's suggestion for salmon ... marinade salmon fillets (or steaks) in a mix of dark soy, honey and grainy mustard for an hour or so. Then put everything, marinade and all, into a small roasting tin and roast until the salmon is just about pink all the way through. Serve up with boiled spuds and steamed greens. Delicious, quick and easy.
Or try (if you can afford it!) grilled tuna steaks on a bed of mashed potatoes in a red wine sauce. Brown some shallots in a little olive oil in a large frying pan, then add a glass of red wine (or maybe a bit more), a couple of teaspoons of sugar and five or six anchovy fillets. Grill the tuna steaks until they're sort of medium rare (don't let them get dry in the middle!) then pour the sauce over the tuna and the mash. Also delicious, and so easy I even managed to cook it after a heavy night in the pub once!:evil:

Willow

Plax said:
Okay all you budding cooks, share some recipie ideas with me.

Usually at the weekend I'll cook Mr Plax something like spag bol, curry, pasta bake, tuna steak with tatties and veg etc. Getting a bit bored of all those so if anyone has any exciting recipies please share.
recommend bi monthly magazine BBC easy cook. I plough my way through it eating different things each day. This week we have had, meatballs and pasta, baked tuna tortillas , courgette lasagne, and to come is bacon carbonara, chilli, leeks with ham and cheese topping.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Oooh, lots of lovely ideas! Obviously now have to try a few of them out. Stew, totally forgot about that. A few years back I used to regularly make stew and shepherds pie. Might make a nice stew now that it's getting colder.

Top Bottom