Recommend a new saddle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J-Lo

I need a new saddle for my tourer. I can hardly walk after a 50 mile ride on the saddle that came with the bike - its unbranded so no clue what it is!

I know the brooks b17 is the creme de la creme of touring saddles, but Im not so keen on having to look after the leather etc. I also heard if it gets wet its jiggered too!

Any good alternatives?

Cheers

ACS

Legendary Member
Cannot recommend Charge Spoon highly enough. £20 about the 4th or 5th saddle I have tried on my commuter.

That said I use a B17 on my audax bike, some say they are instruments of torture, I think otherwise. The rain does not ruin the saddle if it is allowed to dry naturally, in fact I don't think mine was truly broken in until it had been thoroughly soaked.

Spa have a B17 at about £56. Even if you try one and don't like it resale values on Fleabay are always high so the potential for taking a loss is vastly reduced.

jim55

Guru
another vote for the charge spoon (or madison flux which is basically the same thing )at the moment 15£ from cycle surgery ,just got mine tnt (the 3rd one iv had all colours )
24618996.jpg

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Turn up at any long distance event and have a look at what they use if you need suggestions.

Or save yourself a trip and buy a Brooks now.

They only need a bit of dubbin rubbed in and need less and less care as time goes on.

You lube your chain? You pump your tyres up? You can look after a Brooks.

OP
OP
J

J-Lo

Thanks for all the replies! Might give the spoon a shot... it looks good and cheap at £15! Plus, it wouldn't be a disaster if I really didn't get on with it (at that price!)...

buddha

Veteran
another vote for the charge spoon (or madison flux which is basically the same thing )at the moment 15£ from cycle surgery ,just got mine tnt (the 3rd one iv had all colours )
I bought exactly the same one a few weeks ago. Very comfortable. But I wish I'd bought the plain/smooth finish one instead of the suede finish, as my shorts don't 'slide' as easily on it. Just a minor issue on an otherwise, normally excellent saddle.

Albert

Über Member
I love my selle italia slr xp saddles and have one on each of my bikes. All day comfy.
My new bike came with a Fizik Arione - I'll give it a try because it looks great. If it doesn't work out I have a new slr in reserve.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
(I know the brooks b17 ......... I also heard if it gets wet its jiggered too!)

Brooks saddle is leather so just like leather shoes It doesn't get ruined if worn (sat on) in the rain.
If you leave a bike outside for six months saddle will go mouldy. Probably reduced the life of mine, but the metal bbit broke in the end in any case

Cheers[/quote]

My vote is for a Brooks but then I have four of them :smile: As to maintenance, well I add a bit of Proofide if I remember about once a year. Getting wet? I tend to have my rear-end on the saddle in the rain so no issues there :smile: However if I am going to leave the bike in the rain I do put a plastic bag over the saddle as a precaution. I would do this with any leather saddle. Small hassle versus lot of comfort. Your call.

Andrew

OP
OP
J

J-Lo

After reading so many positive reviews (hard to find a bad one!) I have had a change of mind - I bought a brooks! Look forward to testing it out..

bobcat

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the Brooks saddle, best upgrade I have ever made on a bike, just gets better and better!

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
A brooks saddle is a personal saddle. I have 5 bikes and five different saddles but when I am on the bike with the brooks it fits my rear like a glove......

Top Bottom