recommend me a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm in the market for a bike and am after something not flash but still usuable and nice.

No bonebreakers or courier-chic either.

cheers in advance.

Noodley

What's it for? Commuting? Pootling about? Racing? Etc?

What price?

OP
OP
Z

zero risk citizen

Sorry pal, to be honest I'm not sure yet. I was more hoping for some ideas of bikes and user ideas and instructions which I could work out what I was best suited for.

OP
OP
Z

zero risk citizen

sorry mate, I am just filling in the bits in my profile and I didn't know of anything to put in there so I just looked for bible quotes on google and I found that one. Where does your quote come from?

Noodley

zero risk citizen said:
Sorry pal, to be honest I'm not sure yet.

I hope this does not sound bad, but maybe have a think about it. Maybe ask about what kind of cycling first then look at what bike?

OP
OP
Z

zero risk citizen

Noodley said:
I hope this does not sound bad, but maybe have a think about it. Maybe ask about what kind of cycling first then look at what bike?

sorry again pal. But what sorts of cycling are there? I just want the basic types of cycling.

I'm a bit of a luddite workman at heart and I'd much rather let the job determine the tools rather than the other way around. cheers again.

snorri

Legendary Member
zero risk citizen said:
I was more hoping for some ideas of bikes and user ideas and instructions which I could work out what I was best suited for.

It might be an idea to get a hold of a second hand "hybrid" bike, use it for a few weeks and see what sort of pattern of use develops.
After a while you will realise you want to use the bike onroad/offroad, for short/longer trips, carrying camping gear/luggage/or not, going to work or the shops, going out with a club or group, becoming involved in competitive stuff.
After a time you will discover the shortcomings of your first bike and will know what to look for in your next bicycle.;)

OP
OP
Z

zero risk citizen

snorri said:
It might be an idea to get a hold of a second hand "hybrid" bike, use it for a few weeks and see what sort of pattern of use develops.
After a while you will realise you want to use the bike onroad/offroad, for short/longer trips, carrying camping gear/luggage/or not, going to work or the shops, going out with a club or group, becoming involved in competitive stuff.
After a time you will discover the shortcomings of your first bike and will know what to look for in your next bicycle.;)

Thank you snorri. I shall try that. If I am honest I'm only looking at getting a bike because I've got terrible whiplash from a car accident and am in a neckbrace and don't like not being mobile.

OP
OP
Z

zero risk citizen

Dave5N said:
Again, where will you ride it? how far? on paths, roads, in the park or woods?

my friend I am sorry I just do not know the answers to these questions ;)

Are you able to answer these questions about your next bike?

Is there mapping software on the internet where I can type in somesort of simulation where I will potentially go, and then it will suggest a bike?

sorry again :becool::sad:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Why not see if someone you know could lend you a bike or if you live near an Evan's bike shop you could just take out various different bikes (you hand over your credit card details and they let you take it for a test ride). Some other shops do the same.

Is there any type of bike that you look at and think... that looks nice... for me at the moment its skinny steel things but I don't want to do the drop handlebars. But I haven't tried one yet to see what its really like.

I just think that after you had riden a couple of different bikes, you might know how you might like to use the bike.

Top Bottom