Recommend me a folding bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SoulOnIce

Am thinking about getting a folding for my commute. Requirements:

- must be under £1,000 from Evans or Halfords as I'm going to get it on the C2W
- can take a tubster like me (90kg)
- reasonably comfortable to ride - think I may want 20" wheels
- folding is not for public transport use, is for storing in the office and taking up stairs to my flat
- at least 6 gears
- preferably can take a rack but this is not a deal breaker

I like the Dahon Jetstream P8 a lot. If it could take a rack I would deffo have it.

Any other suggestions - is the difference between the Jetstream with a bit of suspension much different to say a normal P8 but with fatter tires.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
All Jetstream models have suspension- the P8 refers to the 'Premium' component level & the 8 speed gearing. The non-suspension equivalents are the Speed P8 (steel frame) and Mu P8 (aluminium frame). Jetstreams can take a rack, but it's a bit fiddlier than the other models because of the suspension. Because of assorted legal & contractual issues with Dahon at the moment, you might have problems finding certain bike models. Don't rule out other models, you can get a great bike for much less than £1k (and without going down the C2W route). CH White have some good deals at the moment, and also do custom upgraded versions for relatively little extra.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Brompton 6 speed?

Very small fold for taking up stairs or storing under the desk at work. Good range of gears, can come with a rack but also will take a front bag as well. Perfectly good for commutes as well as longer leisure rides.

Personally I would change the saddle as they don't agree with me but the frame is quite comfortable to ride despite having small wheels.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
NT speaketh the sense. My 6 speed Brommie is up to touring with 105kg of fat bastard on it.
The saddle is horrid on a Brommie, but oddly enough it was great when fitted on my road bike.

I cannot recommend a Brompton highly enough. I have an M6L and it is brilliant. I have a Brooks B17 fitted and it has been comfy since Day 1. I also have a Trek F400 in my stable, which is a Dahon in all but name, but it doesn't come close. Brommie's are quite expensive but , as they say, 'buy cheap, buy twice'. They also have more kudos.

Bill

(Oh, and 90kg is nothing to a Brompton :blush:)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
90kg? Pah! My Brompton would laugh at your 90kg. It has never carried anything less than 99kg, and has gone up to 118kg. The wheel has never been out of true.

Woz!

Another happy Brompton owner - I've got a 3 speed which has been adaquate for my use, but I have other bikes for longer rides.
I also changed the saddle (got the shop to replace the supplied saddle for a Brookes B17). Much more comfortable to ride but take note that it won't be as comfortable to carry unless you hold it by the frame rather than the saddle nose.

Luggage has never been a problem - mine's not got a rack but I added a Carradice saddle bag to the Brookes.

Top Bottom