Recommended bikes for heavier rider.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Torvix

I'm 6'3 and about 22/23 Stone. As a kid I was never off my bike but I haven't ridden in years.

I want to try and get down to a healthier size and with a nice little trail that follows an old train track in spitting distance of my house I was looking to get back on my bike.

I've hit a few stumbling blocks in that I can't seem to find bikes that have recommended rider weights close to my weight.

A lot of the information i've read on the internet recommends bikes made specifically for people of my weight but most are incredibly expensive and out of my price range.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a mountain bike that can support my weight but is a little on the cheaper side. I wasn't really looking to pay more than £300 (I know you get what you pay for but I really can't stretch much further.)

Thanks in advances.

Regards,
Torvix.

The Horse's Mouth

Proud to be an Inverted snob!
Certainly not an expert but as a 17 stone man myself, I have found my major problem is my rear wheel hubs. I go through a cheap rear wheel hub every six months or so. Been told just to go for a more expensive rear wheel. with a stronger hub so will be interested to see other people's comments.

I dont really have any problems with frames or any other part of the bike. Although I would recommend a good set of strong pedals, I do stand up on my pedals a bit and cheap pedals dont last 5 minutes when they have 17 stone coming down on them. I found mountain bike pedals the best for me personally although I dont go off road.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Avoid anything with suspension at both ends at that price. I'd consider avoiding any suspension at all. For ex-train track trails and bimbling about getting yourself fit you don't need a special bike because of your weight. You do have to expect you might wear stuff out faster though.

Try one of these or any other of their bikes within your budget or a Carrera Subway from Halfords jut make sure it is the right size for your height.

OP
OP
T

Torvix

Thanks for your comments so far.
I was looking at a Falcon Men's Reactive 2011. It had a decent price and the last bike I bought some 10/11 years (and probably 10 or 11 stone) ago was a falcon, i still have it but the frame is a little small for me and when I turn my foot hits the wheel, but it still holds my weight fairly well, there is no creaking or any other concerning noises. I just phoned Falcon and was told that they've tested it to 145kg (22 stone) but including the weight of the bike if you're less than 131kg (20 stone) it should be fine.

I was considering taking a gamble.

FetterSteve

At 20 stone I have a Giant Defy which I am moving on not because it can't take my weight but it's a little too big for me and for the roads round here needs at bigger tyres.
I'm sure you could pick up a cheap Defy ( Mine is in your price range but probably too small ;-)) from Gumtree or the auction site.

I'm not sure I buy the whole fragile frame thing but THM above may have a point about hubs being the weak link.

Zoiders

Go on the bay or try the local bike recycling project if you have one.

You want an old gents roadster, with a 3 speed sturmey hub, stainless steel rims and stainless spokes, hub brakes or even old fashioned rod brakes (although these are not good in the wet).

A good condition one won't be the cheapest, budget anything up £150

They are in short almost indestructible and will serve you better than A MTB for use around town and on shared use paths, the saddle will hopefully be a sprung brooks number that will suit your frame at the moment and the riding position will be upright yet comfy.

This kind of bike will take the weight, plus you can ride in normal clothes and not feel like a tit in lycra or sportswear if you are self conscious at the moment.

Top Bottom